Saga Shares

PJay

Peter James - 2014-05-12 7:59 AM

LordThornber - 2014-05-12 7:47 AM

Funny you should ask that Peter, another of the gems I learned from my fellow club member was to never make recommendations.

Let's face it, you're on a hiding to nothing 8-)

Martyn

Not if its an 'absolute no brainer' surely?

Ok, I must confess, I did recommend to my in laws, Mother and Brother, however I only did that knowing full well that none of them would bother.

Saga? Hmmmmmmm

Martyn :D

Guest Peter James
pelmetman - 2014-05-12 9:12 AM

........Lack of sprogs saved us a fortune :D...........everyone we know who retired early is child free ;-)............

Its different these days. Keep having kids for child benefit then you can get a council house and retire as soon as you leave school. For many that will be the only way they can get a place of their own.

Guest pelmetman
Peter James - 2014-05-12 9:28 AM

........Lack of sprogs saved us a fortune :D...........everyone we know who retired early is child free ;-)............

Its different these days. Keep having kids for child benefit then you can get a council house and retire as soon as you leave school. For many that will be the only way they can get a place of their own.

Another good reason to earn below the income tax threshold ;-)................It's enough to be expected to fund the breeding habits of UK citizens..........BUT now we're expected to fund those who's kids don't even live here *-)..................

Guest pelmetman

Another good reason to earn below the income tax threshold ;-)................It's enough to be expected to fund the breeding habits of UK citizens..........BUT now we're expected to fund those who's kids don't even live here *-)..................

Guest pelmetman

Guest Peter James
pelmetman - 2014-05-12 10:36 AM

.........BUT now we're expected to fund those who's kids don't even live here *-)..................

I think its a Europe wide thing that you claim benefits in the country where you pay your income tax. Hence if a Pole works and pays income tax here, he can claim UK child benefits for his kids in Poland. You couldn't really expect him to pay income tax in Britain and claim child benefits in Poland.

"The Budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed, lest Rome will become bankrupt. People must again learn to work instead of living on public assistance." - Cicero, 55 BC

So, evidently we've learned bugger all over the past 2,000 odd years

Au Contraire Peter - many amongst us have learned, thanks largely to the internet and well meaning but often misguided do gooders, how better to make the system work for them rather than them work for it, and how their rights always outweigh the rights of the rest of us who pay for it all.

Guest Peter James
Peter James - 2014-05-11 10:43 AM

Off the top of my head, 70% of their profits comes from their overpriced insurance, which depends on their aged customers not shopping around for a decent deal when its due for automatic renewal. But what when these customers die out, and perhaps a new more internet savvy (shopping around for a better deal) generation succeeds them?

Apparently thats got worse since I last looked at them. In Saga's latest annual results 96pc of the profit came from insurance, 2pc from travel and 2pc from healthcare. The number of customers had fallen to 2.1 million, from 2.3 million in 2012, and the number of products sold had fallen to 5.8 million by January 2014 from 6.2 million two years earlier as more customers learn to shop around at insurance renewal time :-S

Archived