Water Fill

candapack

The only way I can get water into my tank is to stick the hose all the way down the filler tube into the tank. If filling from a container, have to stick long bit of hose down, with a funnel on the end. Try just filling normally, the water just flows back out of the hole.

There is a breather tube, one end just sticks through a hole in the floor into open air. The other end fits onto a nozzle on the filler cap inside the van, but there is no corresponding hole in the cap on the outside of the van.

Any ideas anyone? :'(

Do you mean that the hose just keeps slipping back out?....

If so, what about a cap similar this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Water-Tank-Hose-Connector-Cap-for-Motorhome-Camper-RV-/151262777531#ht_1056wt_1037

..as for filling from a container, I've heard/read a that a 90 degree, plastic guttering elbow(with a few runs of tape around one end), can be made to fit the housing of the filler and then used as a "hands free" funnel...

OR..do you mean that maybe insufficient venting, is causing it to "splash back"..?

This is quite normal with a lot of fillers necks. Just have to live with it and stick a hose right into the narrow neck part. What I use is a short hose stuck into a water carrier container container using one of those blue conical shape rubber tab connectors. If you fold it back on itself it fits the container outlet nicely and pushed inside it. My container has a small integral tap on the side, open it to let air in and it pours into inlet nicely one the pipe is located. Its about a foot long cut from my main fill PVC hose.

Some people cut a large plastic lemonate bottle. You cut the side with a large opening and then stick that into the inlet, then pour water into side of bottle....looks as if it works quite well...a make shift funnel.

This earlier forum thread may be useful as it discusses the type of hose-connector filler-cap mentioned by pepe63

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Hints-and-Tips/Water-Connection-Adaptors/34072/

It seems to be commonplace for the 'hose' that runs from a motorhome's fresh-water filling-inlet to the fresh-water tank to have little or no downwards incline. This complicates filling the tank from a container and, realistically, with no gravity to help out, there will often be a need to use candapack's technique of feeding a length of hose through the filling-inlet and into the tank itself.

The Rapido 640 that won the 2014 "Motorhome of the Year" award has a 120-litre fresh-water tank on its right-hand side beneath the rear bed, with (as will be seen from the attached photo) the filling-inlet just in front of the door to the rear 'garage'. The 640 is a strong contender (in fact the only current contender) to replace our Hobby and a close inspection showed that the hose from the filling-inlet goes UPWARDS towards the fresh-water tank, seemingly making the hose-into-tank technique essential.

The Rapido 640's Truma Combi heater is also installed beneath the rear bed and takes in air via three round holes in the bulkhead between the under-bed area and the garage. (In the 2nd attached photo these holes can be seen behind the leisure-battery that's housed in the garage.)

Truma's installation instructions for the Combi heater are specific.

"Recirculated air intake

The circulated air is drawn in by the unit. This must have one large or several small openings with a total area of at least 150 cm² between the living compartment (not the rear storage space) and the installation compartment."

It's plain to see why Rapido has chosen to have the heater take in air from the garage via a few holes - it's a simple and cheap ploy. It's also plain that doing so a) conflicts directly with Truma's installation instructions and b) means the heater cannot recirculate warmed air within the motorhome's living area (which is what it's supposed to do) but will always be sucking in cold air from the garage's interior.

While I might understand the possible requirement to have a water filling-hose running uphill, I'd be interested to know what justification there is for the 640's heater to 'breathe' air from the garage when fitting an air-inlet grille in the bed-base (as our Hobby has) is perfectly straightforward.

RAPIDO-640-1.jpg.f75ca7e933d3c25ed3458601910b8097.jpg

RAPIDO-640-2.thumb.jpg.cae9cc3e1a9105b194c0ba1bb2f36992.jpg

We have had this problem on every van we've had, apart from the RV. For us the answer is one of those devices that replaces the locking cap that has a foot or so of hose on the inside that goes down the pipe, and a Hozelock fitting on the outside, it's perfect. To fill without a hose we use a watering can with a piece of cycle inner tube which pushes inside the filler pipe. Yet another good use for my redundant bicycle inner tube.

AGD

We use the Aqualite Motorhome Water Coupler which has a 6" curved plastic pipe that goes into the filler tube and locks on. Can't find the website of Gillons Gadgets now so maybe they are no longer trading. It was one of those gadgets people bought when it was first advertised.

We have also used a cut up coke bottle [or other make] and pour in from a container although that's muscle building if your water entry point is high up. Now, because we spend less time on any one site and use less then 25l of water a day, we tend to fill direct into the tank in the floor from a 25l water container - saves us going to the service point.

I seem to remember looking at Auto Sleepers in the past and noticing it expected owners to fill from a water container with the supplied water pump. I think it was a Whale system.

I'm relieved that a quick check shows my van draws in air from the living area through a vent just slightly bigger than that Derek mentioned.

This must be quite a common problem and we have it with our Hymer. The air cannot get out of the filler pipe past the incoming water, so pressure builds up and it "regurgitates" periodically. Putting hose down the filler tube so that water enters the tank lower down presumably allows room for the air to escape past the filler hose.

At the moment I'm settling for slow filling (and getting splashed) but the various ways in which people have overcome the problem provide food for thought - thank you! As someone has said, a length of hose attached to a spare cap to which a hoselock connector is fitted with an air hole alongside it sounds like a good answer as long as you can keep the hose clean in storage!

Just tape a short length eg 500 - 1000mm of small diameter tube eg 5mm to about 10mm from the end of your filling hose to allow air out. or just push it in at the same time as your filling hose. No air lock, no spurting. Syphon tube for winemaking or fish tanks or old beer pipes is ideal.

Stuart, don't know what Hymer you have but the Aqualite worked happily for years on our 05 plated 544. Sorry, not much use to you if I can't find the supplier!

It used to happen when putting fuel into Ford Focus cars. Press the fuel trigger fully and the automatic pump cut off would occur. Press it gently, no problems. Perhaps a lesser water flow will help.

The suggestion from Pepe63 is probably the same as the Heos water system

http://www.heosolution.de/GB/index.php?tip=heoswater&prod=563

No idea whether the Heos works but there are several suppliers in the UK.

laimeduck - 2014-04-15 12:43 PM

Just tape a short length eg 500 - 1000mm of small diameter tube eg 5mm to about 10mm from the end of your filling hose to allow air out. or just push it in at the same time as your filling hose. No air lock, no spurting. Syphon tube for winemaking or fish tanks or old beer pipes is ideal.

Thanks Jeremy. I did just that, worked a treat. :-D

Archived