Lawns and magpies

Coachman

We have three lawns on our property all in a right state regarding moss. Over the last four weeks I have had lots of help via the magpies, as fast as I clear up the bunches of moss which they have pecked out they are down again picking more out. Over the years we have had a family of eight living up the tree but now its just these two. Never had this before in all the years we have lived here, any body know why they are doing it?.

Does not look like it Malc - as they leave the moss behind. So I think they are after grubs that maybe are nearer the surface this year after all the wet we have suffered.

I did laugh on Sunday tho when a blue tit flew down and pinched some of the dogs undercoat we had brushed out.

It was a bit like that advert on the TV where the birds are queuing up for bird feed - they kept coming back for more.

There will be some very cosy baby Blue Tits this year hopefully! :-D

• 2 weeks later...
Guest pelmetman
I only have two lawns :-(....................but have for the first time this year noticed the moss being dug up from my turf................I know its my fault.......................as I no longer lavish my sward with the attention I once did :$....................but that's the price of idleness :-S...................also known as motorhoming :D .....

you think magpies are bad digging up the lawn be glad you do not have badgers, most nights they dig up small holes in the lawn.

also not sure if badgers or not but find loads of emptys snail shells on the lawn too after wet nights.

got plenty of magpies here too but not seen them mess with the moss on the lawn.

Archived