Hymer - Charger/Rectifier Problem

skipper

Help I have a problem with my rectifier in as much as the fuse has blown inside and does so if I change it. The only visible damage appears to be a burned out capacitor next to the fuse. Not sure if capacitor is at fault or something else causing the capacitor to blow. Even when I disconnect all the cables from the unit the fuse still blows when I reconnect the mains. The battery will charge from the engine but not the mains. I have been quoted £395 for model number EBL100 from Brownhills,but does anyone have any advise or know of a repair shop rather than a new unit. Its an awful expense when one part may be at fault costing a few pence. Thanks for taking the time the read my plea, and please if you can offer any advise please respond.

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for the replies. Unit now sorted. A local TV repair man confirmed the problem and had it sorted for 21p. It was if fact not a capacitor but actually a Varistor (similar look). The part was a bit fiddly to get and while shopping around contacted Schaudt who manufacture the unit to ask if they would supply. Unfortunately due to H&S could not or would not deliver, however he went on to say that they could have repaired the unit and tested it and returned it in 2 weeks for €80. How come the UK importer for Hymer could not tell me this information, only that to bin it and buy new for £395. Regards Skipper

Archived