Mini I pad Pins/ Uses

Corky 8

Could any of you technically switched on boffins Please give me your opinion on the Mini I pad, we have Three of our Grandchildren staying with us for the week, and I was on my lap top copying the co-ordinates of Aires from the French Campingcar Info's web site onto my 2010 AutoRoute's ,so where ever we are I can locate another Aire or Municipal campsite,  When my 7 year old Grandson asked me what I was doing I explained it to him and he burst out laughing saying I was really old fashioned, using a laptop I should use an I pad Mini and use the pins to keep the information I need on there,  Has anyone got and uses the Drop pins on their I pad, and could you tell me how many drop pins you can use, and would you recommend the I pad for this application. Thanks in advance,

Guest Had Enough

Stick to your laptop. You're using it in a motorhome or at home where portability isn't a problem. Why would you want to struggle with a small tablet with a relatively tiny screen and no real keyboard?

I'm no luddite and have a Samsung Galaxy smartphone and I also have a superb Sony 10 inch tablet but when I go away in the motorhome I tether my laptop to my smartphone as it's far easier to surf the web and send and read emails on a decent-sized laptop than on a smallish tablet.

One other advantage to taking your laptop on holiday is that you can plug in a simple usb wi-fi booster and get a signal that may be unobtainable using the laptop's built-in aerial. You can't do that on a tablet.

Don't waste your money on something you'll find fiddly to operate and where reading maps will be more difficult than on a larger laptop.

You can clip the iPad to the note holder that lifts up in the centre of an x250 dashboard, use it as a screen to show the way, play your music or use it as a camera in case of accidents.

Technology moves on,, would you believe that some people still use CD's and DVD' s!

Had Enough - 2014-04-17 11:15 PMStick to your laptop. You're using it in a motorhome or at home where portability isn't a problem. Why would you want to struggle with a small tablet with a relatively tiny screen and no real keyboard?I'm no luddite and have a Samsung Galaxy smartphone and I also have a superb Sony 10 inch tablet but when I go away in the motorhome I tether my laptop to my smartphone as it's far easier to surf the web and send and read emails on a decent-sized laptop than on a smallish tablet.One other advantage to taking your laptop on holiday is that you can plug in a simple usb wi-fi booster and get a signal that may be unobtainable using the laptop's built-in aerial. You can't do that on a tablet.Don't waste your money on something you'll find fiddly to operate and where reading maps will be more difficult than on a larger laptop.

Thank you for the tips about the wi-fi booster I learn something new every time I log on, I should have said from the offset that the only reason I take my lap top with me when in Europe is only for Campsite and Aire locations ,I used to mark them on my Michelin Map but that's near unreadable now. I can understand some people need a laptop with them for business and other reasons but mine is solely for Co-ordinates, and I,m embarrassed to say my Mobile is a Sony Ericsson /Walkman which will only plug into the mains. gosh another modern gadget to get.  Thanks again

Billggski - 2014-04-18 9:55 AMYou can clip the iPad to the note holder that lifts up in the centre of an x250 dashboard, use it as a screen to show the way, play your music or use it as a camera in case of accidents.Technology moves on,, would you believe that some people still use CD's and DVD' s!

And what's wrong with CD and DVDs, good grief I must be way behind, I must admit my son has  given me a 1gb mini hard drive to store any movies/music on for the Motorhome, which looks the bees knees, whether I can master its use is yet to be see, and as you can see no x250 dash board, I am leaning towards a Mini I pad,  many thanks for both you responses, obliged.         Dennis

Hi

Be aware once you have an Ipad you will rarely go back yo the laptop, as We are sitting here looking over Dartmouth using the wifi on site checking e mails.... brilliant for face time also, use it when abroad to speak to family face to face at no charge. Would not do without it

Caddies104 - 2014-04-18 11:47 AM

Hi

Be aware once you have an Ipad you will rarely go back yo the laptop, as We are sitting here looking over Dartmouth using the wifi on site checking e mails.... brilliant for face time also, use it when abroad to speak to family face to face at no charge. Would not do without it

Don't agree, I am actually posing this using my wife's ipad but only as the screen is a little better in bright sunlight.

To me the ipad is just an expensive web browser I have a netbook and much prefer that far more functionable much easier to connect to my network at home proper keyboard and you can run autoroute on it and download thousands of pushpins & create your own with far superior route planning.

When the netbook dies I will replace it with one of the 2in 1 windows a netbook/tablet.

Must agree with Lenny, have ipad but have now bought an Asus T100 TA, this has the best of both worlds where you can use it as a Windows tablet for non serious browsing but is much more usable as a netbook in its other form. IMO knocks the spots of ipad, screen just as good and sensitive and gives far greater flexibility with its keyboard, full size USB 3.0 connection and eleven hour battery life.

It's a Windows tablet when you want it and a netbook when you need it.

Bas

It's horses for courses, the old apple/Microsoft debate.

The iPad synchs automatically with my mac and iPhone, and saves everything to the iCloud, so when my son lost a week's work because his son played with the iPad, he was able to re-instate it from the iCloud.

It has it's idiosyncrasies, and a lot of features are hidden, but using one operating system means I can actually remember what things to do.

Thank you all for your Valued input, weighing all the pro,s and con,s up I think my life would be much easier if I went for a 2 in 1 netbook, as its been said it is Has windows which will support AutoRoute so it would be a simple operation to load my AutoRoute with all the co-ords straight onto a Netbook,  I'm much obliged to you all, I'm slowly getting into the technical media world. Safe and Pleasant journeys to you all.

Archived