DVLA Office Swansea

lennyhb

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I sent a form direct to DVLA once and it came back because the name and address as I had written it on the form wasn't exactly the same as on the V5, even though it was obviously the same person and address.

I thought this was pedantic and unnecessary so I decided to use DVLA's complaint process because that would at least put them to some extra trouble too. They just sent me a "we will look into it" response, then a while later a "sorry you were unhappy" response which said nothing else, and then ignored my attempt to complain about the complaint process. You can't win I'm afraid; they will just take their time and do it their way anyway. In theory you could write to your MP and put them to a bit more trouble but ultimately you won't get anywhere so it's a waste of time.

If you can take your form a Post Office or get a Post Office to check the form before it goes to DVLA it certainly worth doing so rather than risk DVLA losing your form or rejecting it for petty reasons.

Slightly off topic, but I am livid.

Car tax due 1st May, going away in MH 30th April for unspecified period. Sorned car.

Daughter's car knackered, borrowing ours.

Tried to tax it online and by phone, DVLA say my details - Reg.No. and V11 reminder number - don't exist. Will have to trudge to a Post Office before we leave, with fingers crossed. >:-( (!) >

My error - I needed to put in the reg number AND the V5 reference number.

BUT, when I did, the system told me the car was already sorned, and wanted me to tax it from 1st April. I clearly said the SORN started on 1st May.

So still pi**ed off.

Guest JudgeMental
We came back on a Sunday, had already informed HMRC, MOT station next morning for compliance check, Docs in post to VCA by lunchtime...they took 2 weeks to come back! Just to rubber stamp and produce a document, charge £100.....Daylight robbery! Then the fun began with DVLA. You are looking at a month even if it goes well I would think.......

lennyhb - 2014-04-22 3:57 PM

I've been thinking along those lines, will probably cost another 25 quid to amend insurance policy but could save a whole host of problems.

I recently bought an almost new car, and at the same time arranged a personalised number plate. Initially it would have had to be insured under the old reg no, but I spoke to the Insurance Company and they agreed to waive any further fee if I re-registered it within two weeks or so, and put a note to that effect on the file.

In fact, I bought the new number via the website, and got the paper documentation within 5 days so was able to get it set up from the outset- but I have to say I was pleasantly surpsried both by my insurers and the DVLA process.

Keith T

I've insured with NFU to get it home on the VIN plate they don't charge for amendments, once registered I will cancel the policy and go back to Comfort as they are half the price and they will waiver the cancelation free from my last policy.

It was so easy last time half an hour in the local DVLA office and a few days later tax disc & V5.

Hi folks, I may be posting this just a bit too soon, but, agreed with dealer to change the van, and banged off request to put personal plate back on retention back end of march. Arranged tax disk surrender wef april 1st. New v5 received and forwarded to dealer to get his bit signed to close the sale of old van by 12th april, sent off to dvla and received confirmation of close of ownership in 10 days.tax refund received for 5 months, just missed deadline at begin april or it could have been 6 months. My fault.

replacement van collected 4th april, v5 for replacement van arrived in 2 weeks, and retention certificate and v5 sent straight back to swansea, together with copies of mot , insurance and tax disc and application to put personal plate on van. This posted 23 april.

Today received v5 for personal number.

only slight hiccup now is waiting for replacement tax disc and mot updated paperwork.

others have their criticisms of dvla but in my experience the "system" has worked especially as we have had both Easter and May bank holiday which could have upset or delayed things more. It is just a shame they closed the local offices.

I now have to notify insurer, of details changed.

tonyg3nwl

We changed our motorhome a few weeks ago expecting to go on the Continent on 3 May but no V5 received in time. They said it was in the post but all that arrived is the V5 for the old van with a new number (personal reg changed over. I have no V5 and no tax disc for new vehicle. The dealer said it would all be done within two weeks, DVLA now saying 4 - 6 weeks. What was the point in closing all the regional offices down if Swansea cant cope. It all very well Swansea and the dealer saying we will be all right to go abroad but if regulations state that carrying your V5 is compulsory what happens if you are stopped.?

Petra - 2014-05-04 4:32 PM

...What was the point in closing all the regional offices down if Swansea cant cope...

Closing DVLA local offices was a cost-saving exercise and the following documents are worth reading

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/206914/Impact_Assessment.pdf

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/250142/INF259_151013.pdf

It's to be expected that more complicated processes (eg. personally importing a motorhome) will challenge a revised system where, historically, it's been advantageous for face-to-face contact to be made by the importer and a person at a DVLA local office. It's also predictable that moving everything to the Swansea HQ can result in serious delays when minimising DVLA staff numbers was a primary objective of the local-office closure strategy.

Further measures to reduce DVLA bureaucracy include the abolition of the vehicle 'tax disk' (October 2014) and a photocard-only driving-licence that has no paper supplement (2015).

DVLA procedures are not universally inefficient. When I renewed my driving-licence on-line recently (replacing an ancient paper licence with a photocard one) I received the new licence within a matter of days.

Derek, thanks for posting that update. For the last 13 years I worked for one of the Government 'Trading Fund' businesses - those that are required to make a profit such as the DVLA, Post Office, Ordnance Survey. When I left, I was on the standard confidentiality clause and so was unable to counter the negative comments on the DVLA.

Personally, I think the local management and staff are doing a great job implementing Government directives which seek to reduce the cost of government and provide impetus in the economy. I didn't work for the DVLA but I was always abreast of what it, and the other Trading Funds, were up to because, surprise surprise, within Government, people do talk to each other.

Been doing some chasing, VCA said certificate will be on it's way tomorrow or Thursday not too bad complies with their 5 working day turn round.

HMRC for the VAT not good they are currently dealing with emails received on 28th April and of course after I applied on-line it took them 3 days to ask for copies of invoice to be emailed which was the 2nd May.

V5C still hasn't arrived and according to email reply it was sent out first class on Friday. They also confirmed the vehicle had been taxed but advised me not to drive the vehicle until the tax disc could be displayed. So I have a new vehicle stood on my drive that I cannot use and a Eurotunnel booking that we have already changed that we may not make again this week. Thanks Mr Cameron

I think you are blaming the wrong people, if you look at Royal Mail's terms & conditions you will see they allow themselves 15 working days (approx 3 weeks) to deliver 1st & 2nd Class mail before they consider an item lost.

Edit:

Got the VAT bill today & paid it, don't think much of the exchange rate they use effectively cost me another 90 quid.

The Last Post on this subject from me..tax disc and mot paperwork arrived today. Insurance updated, so now legally G3NWL. Give a wave in passing, and for those in the know, give a shout on 80 3781 in the mornings 8 to 9 uk time.

any other hams heading south departing 28th via portsmouth brittany ferry midday give us a pm via here.

Tonyg3nwl.

Our dealer is 30 mls from Swansea and said he has to drop everything in at at posting box at DVLA.

THERE IS NO COUNTER SERVICE THERE.

Our "from new registration" documents were returned to us yesterday as dealers secretary did not put the date on the form. I went to return it registered/recorded delivery and the post office lady said that they would not leave it if nobody would accept it to sign it! I then sent a first class stamp on it so they will get it back today hopefully. It was an addressed envelope so usually that is all checked and ready to go. Copied everything though which was good and double checked that they had euro 5 on it too as need that when going through Austria etc.

Hope it comes back quick as off to Ireland next Thursday!!!

CHRIS

Petra - 2014-05-04 4:32 PM

We changed our motorhome a few weeks ago expecting to go on the Continent on 3 May but no V5 received in time. They said it was in the post but all that arrived is the V5 for the old van with a new number (personal reg changed over. I have no V5 and no tax disc for new vehicle. The dealer said it would all be done within two weeks, DVLA now saying 4 - 6 weeks. What was the point in closing all the regional offices down if Swansea cant cope. It all very well Swansea and the dealer saying we will be all right to go abroad but if regulations state that carrying your V5 is compulsory what happens if you are stopped.?

Did you get your V5C? We've been waiting 7 weeks for a simple change of address on our V5C and still waiting!!

Archived