DVLA Office Swansea

lennyhb

SO I MANAGED TO CONTACT DVLA TODAY AND AFTER A GOOD 15 MINUTES OF WAITING AND TRANSFERS MANAGED TO SPEAK TO A LADY WHO INFORMED ME THAT THE V5C WAS WITH A CASE WORKER AND I SHOULD GET IT BACK IN APPROX 2 WEEKS. THAT WILL BE 79 WEEKS AFTER IT WAS SENT TO THEM. I EXPLAINED I WAS DUE TO GO ABROAD AT THE END OF MAY AND HER EXACT WORDS WERE ' WELL YOU WANT BE ABLE TO GO UNTILL YOU RECEIVE YOUR DOCUMENT'

I RECKON THIS IS A PLOY BY THE ENGLISH TOURIST BOARD TO GET US TO HOLIDAY IN THE UK

PS SORRY ABOUT CAPS LOCK, KEYBOARD FAULTY.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I too am waiting for DVLA to register new vehicle. If not registered by tomorrow we are picking up our old van from dealers as off to Ireland Thursday.

For those not aware , dealers now have to register new vehicles by post to DVLA Swansea only so there is no fast process./ This changed last July. Previously our dealer would go to DVLA or somewhere else and pick up tax and get it registered. Last week the dealer said DVLA lost paperweek for 3 weeks. Luckily our dealer seems to be able to get some sort of contact with DVLA but at moment we expect to be getting our old van back tomorrow and not the new one.

One hell of a crazy system trying to register vehicles now. All 270 lines were busy several times today when I phoned but there is always a pleasant voice at the other end.

chris

I imported a new motorhome in March. In summary my experience was about eight days to get the VAT paid off. A week to get the IVA certificate from the VCA, and around seven weeks of hassle from the DVLA. This was due to a three week wait to find the application had been rejected due to a rise in Road Fund duty in the budget, despite submitting the application prior to the budget. Re applying again with the additional £5 duty after a big fight with my insurers to issue another 30 day cover note on a VIN number. To wait another two weeks to eventually get the V5 to find the model was totally wrong on the V5 so that has gone back for correction, their fault. To get the Road fund licence to find it was issued on the 30th April so I was robbed of a months tax even though it wasn't sent until the 1st May. So not a good experience. Still awaiting a V5 so still no overseas travel eight weeks after importation....

Guest JudgeMental
They stiffed me for a month on road tax as well, charging me an extra month as well...I complained and got a rebate cheque for the month........don't let them get away with their negligence!

Macmedal, that is poor service for you. Yesteray we had to pick our old van back up from dealer as the new van still not registered. Off to ireland tomorrow so had no choice. Our solar panels were removed so we have had to loan a dreaded generator for emergency only. Our dealer kept phoning and was not allowed a contact email address either. This new system since last july means no counter service and only postal applicatiobs. Several times I phoned and told all 270 lines are busy! Chris

I wonder if some of these delays etc, are down to any major and on-going reorganisations?...meaning that it will get better?.....Or is this it? 8-)

Although the cynic in me wonders if there is a pattern forming..

a)Close branches/cut personnel numbers

which...

b)Greatly increases work load on remaining staff..

Result= Major delays and poor service..

Solution?...

Well, "Privatise" it of cause... *-) (..to which everyone shouts "..serves 'em right..about bl**dy time!.." :-S )

So maybe in a few years we can look forward to having our online VED applications being handled in Delhi? .... >:-(

Guest JudgeMental

untrained, untalented bureaucracy.....they are a laughing stock and not fit for purpose. I have the directors details, or at least direct contact with his PA..you get results then, anyone needs them PM me.

far better then dealing with the untrained kids in the chicken farm (call centre) a bunch of young people with minimum training, completely out of their depth, that seem frightened to be honest.. I know this as I contacted them about 10 times a week for nearly 6 weeks trying to get some sense out of them, until I wrote a letter of complaint to the director..Only then did things get sorted

pepe63 - 2014-05-14 9:34 AM

I wonder if some of these delays etc, are down to any major and on-going reorganisations?...meaning that it will get better?.....Or is this it? 8-)

Although the cynic in me wonders if there is a pattern forming..

a)Close branches/cut personnel numbers

which...

b)Greatly increases work load on remaining staff..

Result= Major delays and poor service..

Solution?...

Well, "Privatise" it of cause... *-) (..to which everyone shouts "..serves 'em right..about bl**dy time!.." :-S )

So maybe in a few years we can look forward to having our online VED applications being handled in Delhi? .... >:-(

All possible! :-)

However, they are not privatised, they are a government agency, and a minister is ultimately responsible for their performance. Doubtless the same minister has agreed to the closure of the local offices.

I wouldn't care to guess whether the impact assessments on those closures (Derek's references, I think) were what the DVLA executive really thought could be achieved, or whether they were what said minister had indicated he wanted to hear (words in corridors etc :-)).

My suggestion would be to make your complaints to the relevant minister, rather than on here. There is some chance that someone might get a grip if enough folk write complaining, but less than zero chance anything will happen as a result of blowing off steam on here, however justified. By all means copy your letter to the chief exec as Eddie (judgemental) suggests, but do write initially to the organ grinder, not his monkey.

What I find frustrating is how slow it all is. Everything is by post. It took ten days after the initial decision had been made to reject the application before the documentation come back the first time. You can't speak to or email the person dealing with the case, just a call centre which is really no help at all.

A quick email to advise me that the duty had risen and I owed them an additional £5, would have quickly resolved the situation and saved weeks of hassle.

The trouble is most of us only have limited or occasional need to contact the DVLA. In the past many people went to their local offices and generally got an efficient service. Now even transferring cherished plates is going to take a couple of weeks compared to a walk in, take a ticket, short wait, job done.

Now that option is gone, for the sake of efficiency they need to examine their practices and make vast changes to how they deal with the public. Sad state of affairs, especially when compared to the ease of my German dealer visiting his local office to get temporary export registration, all of which was down over the counter there and then.

Write to your MP.It will work if not for you personally then if there are enough complaints the system WILL change.go to Write to them.Put in your post code.It will bring up a list showing your MP, your euro MP and local councilors.It really is very easy.

JudgeMental - 2014-05-14 5:21 PM

untrained, untalented bureaucracy.....they are a laughing stock and not fit for purpose. I have the directors details, or at least direct contact with his PA..you get results then, anyone needs them PM me.

far better then dealing with the untrained kids in the chicken farm (call centre) a bunch of young people with minimum training, completely out of their depth, that seem frightened to be honest.. I know this as I contacted them about 10 times a week for nearly 6 weeks trying to get some sense out of them, until I wrote a letter of complaint to the director..Only then did things get sorted

Thanks to judgemental for the contact details. I emailed them, yesterday, got an acknowledgment this morning followed by a second to say the V5C had been sorted and would be with me shortly. Fingers Crossed

RUDDY UNBELIEVABLE

DVLA have rejected my application.

They said when they check the the HMRC NOVA system the vehicle was not showing on the system.

I paid the VAT on the 9th, I could access the NOVA system and it was showing as paid on the 12th, they did their check on the 17th.

I even have the written confirmation from HMRC.

It really makes your blood boil why on earth to they send the whole application back saying you have to re-apply when all they need to do is contact me, just unbelievable.

Guest JudgeMental

you were well advised to their incompetence it is truly astonishing!

contact me and i'll give you the directors PA details. crbtaylor just used them and got a result.....

Judgemental gave me the link to email someone or write to Anne Jones, the complaints case manager. She sorted out my case the same day and correct V5C arrived 3 days later

Ann.Jones1@dvla.gsi.gov.uk

Whoops sorry Judge must have been replying at the same time

Guest JudgeMental
We are down at Brighton CC for a long weekend shame you cant make it in your shiny new van..Kirbys would have come but still in Espana.... Frustrating isn't it! You can imagine my deep joy, when the pack arrived after over a month, only to have been given an earlier/older reg number! 8-)

Wife's going to the Chelsea Flower Show with one of our daughters on Saturday - blimey more expensive than Motorhoming, 60quid a ticket.

The plan was to go down to Romney mash on Sunday to visit wifes Brother & Mother looks like we will be taking the car now.

DVLA letter told me to contact the PTU which I did they told me as I had a NOVA number I needed to talk to the VAT people and transferred me, they said as it was a personal import I needed to talk to the PTU, I gave up at that point.

Archived