mh to tow car on trailer

karlio

Evening everyone,first post so please be gentle.

We are looking at buying a motorhome that is able to tow a twin axel car trailer with my race car of a combined weight of about 1.5 tonnes.

Spent the last few days trawling through eBay,pre-loved,auto trader etc and had a look at various dealers local today.

Has anyone experience of the following,especially towing

Autotrail mohican

Autohomes wanderer eclipse

Autosleeper Davina

Lmc liberty

Bessecar e600.

All of the above had at least 2.5 litre diesels,mostly ducato based. And are in the £10,000-£20,000 range.

Many thanks

Karl

To tow 1500KGs I'd suggest you seriously consider a rear wheel drive option, Ford Transit, Merc Sprinter, Iveco Daily. FWD, a big trailer and a potentially muddy race paddock when mixed together are a recipe for not going anywhere in a hurry. My 4200KG Iveco is a superb tow truck and pulls my race car and trailer with no problems. My SWB Ducato has done so on one occasion but its much better behind the Iveco.

D.

If ever there were a motorhome model to be avoided if towing anything (let alone a heavy trailer) is being contemplated, it would be a VW-based Compass Calypso.

As should be plain from photos

http://paulandalisons2012tour.wordpress.com/vw-compass-calypso/

this vehicle was built on a narrow-track short-wheebase chassis. Although the ride quality was good, handling was notoriously 'wallowy' and it was commonplace for owners to fit helper-springs to the rear suspension to try to control this exciting characteristic. Given how unsuitable it is for towing, it's quite likely that there's very little strengthening at the back to accept a tow-bar.

As has already been advised, you'd be best to look at fairly substantial rear-wheel-drive vehicles (preferably with twinned rear wheels).

(What's an Autosleeper Davina?)

Go to eBay and under motor homes search 'race'.

This will bring up half a dozen strongly built race truck type motor homes, often built on an Iveco van or for a few more bucks on a Merc.

Tough, good towers and because they are older and not so 'caravan club site' pretty, they are fairly cheap too.

Most have a small garage/workshop to store your race gear, so you'll only need a basic twin axle trailer for your racecar.

Easily in the £10k end of your budget giving you £10k towards your seasons race costs.

I can't copy/paste on this tablet, but my first eBay search threw up a blue daf fully kitted at £6500

Hi Karl,

Towed my trailer/ car combination of just over 1.5tonnes two years ago with a long wheelbase PVC fitted with the previous generation 3ltr engine. A doddle, mixed roads, motorway, A roads and twisty B roads were not a problem. Last year towed same outfit with our current PVC, still long wheelbase fitted with Citroen 2.2ltr 148bhp engine, not as good as the 3ltr but no issues, just missed the low down torque a bit. On both occassions did approx 1,500 mls.

When it comes to handling and traction, irrespective of front or rear wheel drive, the car/trailer must be set up properly, nose weight must be correct and vehicle safely secured and tyre pressures as recommended.

Remember the safety of yourself and other road users is paramount.

Just thought i would put my wee bit in, happy towing

Regards, Rob.

Nice one chaps,all taken on board.

The war department has let it be known that converted vans are a no no.

We are going to look at a 2.8 ducato at the weekend which seems to tick most boxes.of course I would like rwd but I don't see it being to much of a problem as you say if the trailer is nose weighted etc.

Cheers karl

I seriously advise you to consider RWD, my Iveco has NEVER been stuck, my Ducato has been stuck on its own without the trailer. Several race venues I've visited have grass paddocks and when its raining and lots of others are churning the ground up a FWD towing a Tonne and a half of trailer really is a recipe for getting stuck. Your choice of course at the end of the day but you asked for advice.

D.

A "left field" choice is an RV. These are real bargains because they depreciate so much and are are just about unburstable.

I used to tow race cars across Europe with a complete hospitality suite on top, race cars with 12 tyres and pit bike on the trailer. One even had a 6KV generator in the back.

But someone else paid for the fuel.

I have towed a car on a trailer extensively using our Fiat-based front wheel drive MH with few problems and I don't think you need approach this as some sort of big obstacle course at all.

Ground clearance can be an issue (especially if you have a long MH rear overhang) and I have found it useful to have a long trailer (an Ifor Williams CT136 (singe axle, GVW 1400kg) to make reversing a lot easier. If your towed car is under 1100kg using a light but longish trailer of this sort makes life very easy because you can manhandle it.. There is a twin axle version if you need the extra payload but remeber to check your MH's toing limit - mine is only 1,600 kg..

I hit the ground with the trailer spare wheel entering a petrol station via a steep ramp off the road so I now carry it inside the towed car for more clearance but otherwise it's just a standard trailer and it just follows the MH completel tamely - you almost don't know it's there. Fuel consumption rises by about 5-8 mpg.

I bought my trailer off EBay for less than half the new price which was a real bargain but even at full price these Ifor Williams trailers are a good buy and easily sold when you no longer need them.

Archived