Engine Size?

Rod Smith

Hello all - my first time on here and couldn't find too many other references to this in the forum. I am about to buy a newish motorhome and wondered if anyone has any thoughts about the 2.0l HDi engine being powerful enough for something like a compass avantgarde 100 or 300 or similar type/size vans? Thanks Rod Smith

Hi Rod I have never had a motorhome with the 2.0 hdi engine but would have thought it was a tad underpowered for motorway use. We now have a Knaus Sun Ti with the Renault 2.5.dci engine and this is just enough to get by with - economical and powerful enough to keep up with traffic flow and overtaking etc. Our last motorhome was more comparable though with what you are looking at. It was an Autocruise Startraveller - 20' 4" long and 3500kgs MTPLM. I had the 2.2 hdi engine option and again it was a very good match for the size of van. One other point about both examples though is that they are both low profile which makes a very big difference. The Avantgarde has a luton overcab and this will undoubtedly give more wind resistance. Regards, david

Hi Rod- We have the 2litre hdi Peugeot coachbuilt Xpedition 200 and I had reservations of its power , but was assured by dealers that it was equal to many slightly older 2.5 turbos. This I found to be very true and it goes like a dream with plenty of low torque, we could and have cruised for hours ( on Frence autoroutes) at 70 -80 mph with plenty of power left, only the cost of fuel stops us from doing this on a regular basis, providing you are not carrying to much heavy gear ie full water tank, it will be more than you need. Happy motorhoming. Chas

[QUOTE]david lloyd - 2006-09-05 1:17 PM The Avantgarde has a luton overcab and this will undoubtedly give more wind resistance. Regards, david[/QUOTE] More of an issue than the weight IMO. Big Lutons, Headwind, Small Engine - hmmmmm :-( :-(

I agree with Clive and docted go for the biggest diesel engine you can get. You`ll get more power and torque and a better mpg. We have a Talisman 2.8HDI and you`d be amazed at some car drivers faces when we accelerate past them! It`s great on the motorway too. We average 28-29 mpg with it, with 2 bikes on the back. I would`t have anything smaller. B-)

Guest starspirit
The 2.0 hdi is fine and very adequate for a motorhome which is not a vehicle for tearing about in. It does lose power a bit on long gradients and you soon learn the best time to change down but most coachbuilts driven sensibly, which includes motorway cruising at about 60 to 65 (65 to 70 on the optimistic speedo) and gentle by road touring and exploring, should do about 28 to 32 mpg - well mine all have anyway!. By the way I drive a 140bhp Toyota and an 'S' Type jag so I too DO enjoy a bit of get up and go! Sure it's always nice to have more power and if you buy a 2.0 and need more Van Aaken does a very effective software upgrade to give more torque. Drive different sorts and make your own choice and don't be swayed by all us 'experts'.

Rod, We have a 2.0ltr and have found no problems, plenty of power, learn to drive it you will soon know when to change down. We used Autoroutes in France to get to our destination and only had to change gear when stopping for toll booths. Who's in a hurry anyway. We had asked for a bigger lump but the waiting list was too long plus extra cost. It certainly goes better than our old 2.5. My wifes car has the same engine as my car other than mine has turbo, by the time turbo has cut in my wife is way down the road, and she is usually the first away from the traffic lights, yes its a diesel 1945cc 15 years old, I used it last week and I left a Merc Kompressor standing on a hill. Take a test drive and see for yourself. David

"yes its a diesel 1945cc 15 years old, I used it last week and I left a Merc Kompressor standing on a hill." He must have fallen asleep! (lol) :D

Archived