getting rid of steel posts

duetto owner

will be moving and the concrete drive way has steel posts and gates but too narrow for m/home to swing in. so was going to remove one or both.

whats the best way? do I hammer the concrete around the post and hope to pull it out if not deep or what could i use to cut them flush with the ground?

Guest peter

Angle grinder with metal cutting disk, (much thinner than a grinding disk).

Or wrap some gelignite round the base, that'll do the trick.

Or oxyacetylene cutter, but this will make the concrete spit like crazy.

Option one is safest. :D

But do remember that the sparks from a cutting disc are in fact red hot lumps of metal that will embed themselves in any glass or painted surface they hit!

In other words don't use one any where near your MH, car or house windows without adequate protection.

Keith.

The posts have probably been bedded with a mix of dry concrete, tie a rope to it and pull it off centre and then rock it backwards and forwards and you might be lucky to pull it straight out of the ground. other than that use an angle grinder with a cutting disc fitted, quite easy to do.

Hi David;

angle grinders/disc cutters are viscious bits of kit, particularly in inexperienced hands.

I recently cut some brick slips, and decided that next time I'll leave it to someone who does that sort of thing regularly.

I found the "kick"when the disc grabs when slowing particularly unpleasant, and potentially dangerous.

Take care

alan b

And for goodness sake buy and wear some good quality safety glasses. Those red hot bits of metal "spark" can do a hell of a lot of permanent damage to your eye.

Personally I would have no problem using an angle grinder on them - but there is a bit of skill involved and I totally agree with the term "vicious" when they are in the wrong hands.

I would also agree that gentle rocking via a rope tied to a vehicle and "rocked on the clutch" would probably be a safer bet - just make sure you do it gently and do NOT use a kinetic rope as when the metal bay comes out you may find it embedding itself in the back of your vehicle! B-)

duetto owner - 2014-04-20 6:50 PM

thanks for replies, just had to cancel move street is subject to many burglary and anti social crimes, at the end of the road found out its full of social problem families in an bad estate.[pity nice cottage]

no wonder they had heavy steel gates and an alarm.

Was it in huddersfield ?

Guest peter

Don't be tempted to move there, you will regret it. We looked at a lovely 5 bedroom house with a large frontage, which was ideal for the motorhome. It also had a fence and wall with steel gates as well.

We viewed it and right across the road were some dodgy looking council houses with tatty caravans in the front gardens. As we drove away the owner came out and shut the gates straight away, which we thought strange. We drove up the road and the corner house had loads of scrap cars in the back garden.

Needless to say we didn't proceed. Which was a shame as all the houses on one side of the road were really nice quality homes. Just a pity about the neglected dosshouses on the other side.

To be fair Donna - I have done this and yes - you do end up initially with a slice of the steel raised above the level of the concrete - but it is an easy matter to go round and attack this bit from the other side.

In fact I ends up with a slight depression in the concrete after cutting off the post that was perfect to fill with a bit of cement - now with a bit of weathering you can hardly see where the post was.

Guest peter
donna miller - 2014-04-21 3:44 PM

I know it's kind of irrelevant now but an angle grinder is the worst possible choice for removing steel posts. You would not be able to cut the post flush with the ground due to the design of the tool.

Why did none of you clever men think of or point that out? *-)

Sorry to shatter your glee Donna, but us men aren't as stupid as you suggest. We use the cutting disk to cut off the post and then finish the job with the grinding disk. You didn't think of that, did you?. (lol)

antony1969 - 2014-04-22 6:48 AM

Or invite a female friend/relative round , tell her to park on drive and bang she's guna hit it they always do . Then she is obliged to sort out mess at her cost , Bingo

Brave man Antony!

Brave man.............

Guest peter
donna miller - 2014-04-21 10:14 PM

Course I did Peter, but a grinding disc would also damage the concrete/tarmac around the post so you might as well just dig the whole thing out and make a decent repair. Besides, your comment was an afterthought, therefore it's invalid. :D

If the grinder was in the hands of a competent MAN there wouldn't be any damage to the concrete or tarmac. It wasn't an after thought Donna I was assuming that a MAN would be executing the work. Therefore he would do it properly , as I detailed earlier. (lol)

Archived