Fiat 2.5 TD engine

Karmann Gipsy

Hi All Put up a post yesterday about our search for an older A class, specifically about a Pilote. However, it seems that we now have several different makes and models to look at at various dealers. The thing they ALL seem to have in common though is the Fiat 2.5 TD engine/chassis. (Ducato, first type with dashmount gearlever, roughly 1996 ish.) Does anyone have any experience of this engine/chassis setup, as in what to look for, will it be powerful enough etc etc? Afraid I know nothing about the Fiats! Many thanks for any advice!

We went from a 2.8JTD to a 2.5TD when we swapped a newer motorhome for an older one and fine the 2.5 to be far more economical (in similar 'vans), quieter when cruising (though not when idling) and up to the mark in terms of power unless you want to win at the traffic lights grand prix. We worried about going back in time and down in engine size, but it's been just fine. Last poster was absolutely right to mention the importance of checking that the timing belt and tensioner have been changed at (I think) about 40,000 miles.

Guest starspirit
The old 2.5 td is a tough reliable work horse of an engine (generally) but in my humble experience is very noisy, harsh and somewhat overgeared for a coachbuilt. The 1.9 is a bit better but the 2.0 hdi is a modern car derived diesel and as such is considerably quieter abd smoother, which is important on a long haul.

Archived