Nesting Birds

ricaroo

Noticed the bulletin below on my Bird Club forum so in the name of our (Motorhomers) AWARENESS I have posted it for consideration.

GROUND NESTING BIRDS

Please could anybody with friends with motor homes please make them aware of vulnerable ground nesting birds at this time of year. I located a lapwing sitting on four eggs this morning near to a grassed area on a local moor. I passed on my way home to find a motor home had parked on the grass next to it all afternoon and kept the hen off the nest. I returned along the road at dusk to find an abandoned nest with four freezing cold eggs. Traffic and unaware tourists maybe a contributing factor to this struggling little wader.

The lapwing is my favourite bird from when I was a child and saw them in the High Peak [Derbyshire]. Changes to farming methods, including draining moorland for grazing, has had a great impact on the specie's decline. Gone are the days of my youth when I would see "peewits', as we called the bird, on a walk over the local moors.

I like to detour off the M6 to park up [in a proper layby] on the A6 between Shap and Penrith to see lapwings and curlews.

I doubt motorhomers have had any impact on the decline of lapwings although it makes sense to be wary of the habitat of any wildlife when stopping by the roadside.

Dog walkers and horse riders are asked not to roam/walk in certain areas of the New Forest where ground nesting birds and other rare species are.

Most of us take heed but some sadly do not. Just to the North of Ogdens there is a large sandy area where sand lizards breed and notices are put on the paths to ask walkers and horse riders to circumvent this area.

http://www.new-forest-national-park.com/sand-lizard-fact-file.html

I once watched as a middle aged couple of ladies both on horseback stopped to read the notice and then knocked it down and rode straight through the area.

Guest peter
ricaroo - 2014-04-20 12:47 PM

Noticed the bulletin below on my Bird Club forum so in the name of our (Motorhomers) AWARENESS I have posted it for consideration.

GROUND NESTING BIRDS

Please could anybody with friends with motor homes please make them aware of vulnerable ground nesting birds at this time of year. I located a lapwing sitting on four eggs this morning near to a grassed area on a local moor. I passed on my way home to find a motor home had parked on the grass next to it all afternoon and kept the hen off the nest. I returned along the road at dusk to find an abandoned nest with four freezing cold eggs. Traffic and unaware tourists maybe a contributing factor to this struggling little wader.

So why did you not notify the motorhome owner about the nest. Obviously not that concerned about the issue then.

Guest peter
CliveH - 2014-04-20 3:41 PM

Dog walkers and horse riders are asked not to roam/walk in certain areas of the New Forest where ground nesting birds and other rare species are.

Most of us take heed but some sadly do not. Just to the North of Ogdens there is a large sandy area where sand lizards breed and notices are put on the paths to ask walkers and horse riders to circumvent this area.

http://www.new-forest-national-park.com/sand-lizard-fact-file.html

I once watched as a middle aged couple of ladies both on horseback stopped to read the notice and then knocked it down and rode straight through the area.

I hope you had the bottle to suitably chastise that pair of arrogant bitches.

Sadly no Peter - I had seen the notices and so had walked the dogs into the enclosure instead of my planned route and it was looking down towards Lachmore Brook from up on top of the hill that I watched these two riders.

Archived