E-bikes with a throttle in France

candapack

My wife's e-bike - make and origin to remain anonymous (!) - has pedal assist AND a throttle.

I believe I should remove/disable the throttle before using it in France - is that correct?

And if I don't, what bad things might happen to me, well, her :-D

And does that apply anywhere else?

Guest JudgeMental

Orrible things.....As in Germany and all right thinking countries, only peddle assist allowed, so you are riding an untested, unlicensed, uninsured low power moped........Guillotine? hung as a traitor..who knows! If it was aye Sir, the BOOK the BOOK would be thrown! *-)

(:D)

JudgeMental - 2014-04-21 8:57 PM

Orrible things.....As in Germany and all right thinking countries, only peddle assist allowed, so you are riding an untested, unlicensed, uninsured low power moped........Guillotine? hung as a traitor..who knows! If it was aye Sir, the BOOK the BOOK would be thrown! *-)

Just a wild guess, but I'm thinking German E-bikes don't have throttles?

I expect you will be aware of a German stand-up comic, Henning Weg (I think). He once said he was surprised at how much British stand-up involved swearing. In Germany, there is much less swearing because in Germany, "everysing vurks properly". :D An excellent line from an excellent comic.

Anyway, back to the point, I suppose I better remove the throttle in case this Guillotine thing is correct............hmmm, maybe I'll think about it for a bit. :-D

Billggski - 2014-04-21 10:08 PM

If it's legal in the UK, why should you be prevented from using it in the eu?

Well, apparently, driving on the left is legal in the UK, but will get you banged up pretty much everywhere else in the EU (!)

It's a funny old world, but I suppose it might be a bit boring otherwise.

:D

Guest JudgeMental
candapack - 2014-04-21 9:20 PM

JudgeMental - 2014-04-21 8:57 PM

Just a wild guess, but I'm thinking German E-bikes don't have throttles?

I expect you will be aware of a German stand-up comic, Henning Weg (I think). He once said he was surprised at how much British stand-up involved swearing. In Germany, there is much less swearing because in Germany, "everysing vurks properly". :D An excellent line from an excellent comic.

Anyway, back to the point, I suppose I better remove the throttle in case this Guillotine thing is correct............hmmm, maybe I'll think about it for a bit. :-D

Funny guy (for a german :-S) was on "have I got news for you" the other night? has lived here 14 years.....

In all seriousness dont worry.... unless bike derestricted and she does wheelies up and down the promenade. . the pedelec laws are throughout europe but have never heard of a problem

As long as the motor is not more than 250 watt and stops assistance at 15.5 mph the throttle wont matter,some German bikes can have a throttle fitted that works at walking speed in case you need to push the bike up hills or in the event of a breakdown/puncture.

Not a lawyer.

Most imported ebikes were technically illegal in the UK where the limit was 200W, no one has ever been prosecuted for riding one though.

We do get very fussed about minor technicalities, I'm still using pedal power, keeps me fit and no expense. When it comes to it I'll probably get a moped, I fancy a motobecane or mobylette.

Archived