Baltic Wharf closing

bertieburstner

please see below which i have pasted from another forum (with their permission)

Can you please support the petition if you want Baltic Wharf to remain open? thanks!

Bristol City Council decided behind closed doors to close Baltic Wharf campsite and use the land for a school.

The local traders didn't know anything about it until the decision had been made.

Know they now the traders who rely on tourism are extremely angry, particularly Bristol Ferries (who have a ferry stop there) and SS Great Britain both of whom say that say they rely on the campsite for their 'bread and butter' during the winter. A point that been totally disregarded by the council.

They only need 3600 signatures on their petition to force the council to have an open meeting about it.

It has enabled Bristol Ferries too keep running during the winter and therefore keep their employees on.

Its a great campsite and will be a great loss to camping if it is allowed to close

So please can you sign the petition below and send on to other forums etc you belong to.

Thanks.

Steph

This is an email from Lou Phillips of Bristol Ferries who has been arranging the petition. (please post on here if it isn't working so I can tell her).

Lou Phillips

19:34 (15 hours ago)

to me

It is working!!

http://epetitions.bristol.gov.uk/epetition_core/view/Campsite

Just added mine!

Bristol Council full of councillors who disregard their electors!

This site has to be one of the best for direct access to a major city we need more sites like Baltic wharf not less! There are numerous brown field sites in this city which are crying out for development! If they need a school is it wise to build right on the waterside! what about the Health & safety brigade!

I have signed and also emailed the Caravan Club to ask them what action they are to take via their website / members forum to drum up some more signatures (the CC themselves seem quite quiet about the matter, or have I missed something?)

spospe - 2014-04-24 9:39 PM

I have signed and also emailed the Caravan Club to ask them what action they are to take via their website / members forum to drum up some more signatures (the CC themselves seem quite quiet about the matter, or have I missed something?)

There are in fact 3 separate threads running on the CC forum 'Club Together' but it shows what a rubbish forum that is because you can't see easily where the threads are or in what section. As regards the club itself, it seems reluctant to say much publicly as it wants to keep in the council's good books as they are supposed to be working together to find an alternative site.

If it does close(relocate?)then that pub next door(The Cottage?), will take a BIG hit (especially during winter months).

Baltic Wharf is/was always one of our list of *favourite locations to use, as it's in a handy spot and we also have friends living down there..

(*having said that, I don't think our current "camping-van" would be "eligible" now anyway.. :$ :-S)

Still signed though.. ;-)

Just signed the petition. We have always wanted to visit Baltic Wharf and have finally managed to book up for later this year.

On the CC site they appear to have blocked most of the comment on the proposed closure. Understandable to some extent but they should be informing the members of the situation without disclosing their 'hand', after all don't the members have an equal share in the equity of the sites ?.

Alan

Athiest, signed up for myself and wife. the site would not let me use the same email address twice. So far my standby email has not had the log on from the Bristol council. Never mind closing the site it needs to be trebled in size so that we can get more time booked on there. "A"

Signed by us both.Great site in a unique position. Took us some time to get a booking as it is so popular.Our water filler cap fell off when we left the site but when we returned several hours later we found a local had handed it in. So the locals seem to be happy with us!

paulmold - 2014-04-25 8:31 AM

spospe - 2014-04-24 9:39 PM

There are in fact 3 separate threads running on the CC forum 'Club Together' but it shows what a rubbish forum that is because you can't see easily where the threads are or in what section. As regards the club itself, it seems reluctant to say much publicly as it wants to keep in the council's good books as they are supposed to be working together to find an alternative site.

Yes I have also signed, having read it -eventually - on the CC Club together forum. Have to agree that is a very poor forum and doesn't even advise you when further postings have been put on after yours, so you have no idea of what happens unless you can remember to log in pretty much everyday! I have referred them many a time to how the MMM forum works, but despite many an update they seem to ignore the sense of this one.

Archived