any observations on rapido 770

karlio

Guest JudgeMental
No just general stuff...if you like it and it seems genuine, paperwork etc.....have a look at roof with particulate attention to seals, check that EVERYTHING works, get a mechanical survey and a professional damp survey, this a 14 year old van, it also has a long overhang, handling could be compromised and you will need to weigh it to determine true available payload and axle weights

I suggest you treat the vehicle as two discrete entities

1: A 14-years-old car. Check for general condition and any signs of damage/repair. Confirm what servicing has been carried out, when the cam-belt was last changed, how old the tyres are, etc.

2: A 14-years old caravan. Check for general condition and any signs of damage/repair. Check for any indications of water ingress. Make certain that the gas-, electrical- and water-related appliances all work OK.

This Rapido model would not have been cheap new and was solidly constructed. As long as it's been looked after it should be a good choice (at the right price). Obviously, if you think you might buy it, get a test-drive.

This should help

http://motorhomes.autotrader.co.uk/motorhome-buyers-guide

Having recalled that you'd be using the vehicle to tow a heavy trailer, you may have to watch the overall weight once a hefty tow-bar has been added and the vehicle is fully loaded. I THINK a 770 would have been built on a Ducato 'maxi' chassis (Check if the wheel rims are 16" diameter) and would have been marketed with an overall weight of 3500kg, with 3800kg as an option. You might need 3800kg for towing your race-car.

We looked at a 770 at a dealers a few years ago, during a blizzard not the best time!

I do recall being put off by a number of stress cracks in the exterior mouldings and the amount of wear in the seat fabrics in the front dinette, where you have to squeeze through to the cab - it is a bit narrow.

It's a nice layout inside with the solid door between the rear bed and rest of the van, but the overhang is long, so as others have said watch the weight.

Look for chips in the enamel hob and scratches in the enamel sink too, they can look a bit unsightly. Any signs of damp will show up in rusty hinges and cupboard screw heads, and delamination of the wood lamination, look especially closely at curved sections.

Shower tray will probably show signs of cracking rare to find one which has not.

Depending on how the vehicle has been stored look closely at the front chassis rails, the 1999 Rapido on the same cab that we had was beginning to show some corrosion especially at the welds of the inner wheel arch panels - put down to the lack of seal between the windscreen and bonnet. Numerous threads on here. Check the front cross member under the radiator too for corrosion.

David

Obvious I know, but check the Gross Train Weight, and check whether Rapido stipulate a lower than normal trailer weight. That apart, in addition to the other comments above, I would only add that long rear overhangs and trailers are not generally a happy mix. The overhang tends to sway laterally as the vehicle rides camber changes, and this can induce instability in the trailer. A short rear overhang would be a better solution, IMO.

Obvious I know, but check the Gross Train Weight, and check whether Rapido stipulate a lower than normal trailer weight. That apart, in addition to the other comments above, I would only add that long rear overhangs and trailers are not generally a happy mix. The overhang tends to sway laterally as the vehicle rides camber changes, and this can induce instability in the trailer. A short rear overhang would be a better solution, IMO.

• 3 weeks later...

Well we went for it and bought the rapido.a pleasant 200mile drive home and averaged some 24mpg at a steady 65/70. Impressed with build quality etc.

Went to croft racing last weekend and it towed the car and trailer with no issues at all.

Everything works,apart from the fridge on gas,fluff,it was warm and dry and comfortable.

Just the job for the two of us plus I got all my gear in the garage under the bed.

Thanks for all you input it was very helpful.

Cheers

Karl

Archived