RAC Trackster woe

tezza

Just a word of warning to those of us that have RAC tracksters fitted. I have just had my alarm and tracker removed from my van and re- installed on my new van, imagine my surprise when i am asked " how are you paying for your tracker subscription" I said I paid for life the first time around, sorry sir came the reply you need to pay again. It turns out that even though it says the unit is transferable, if you sell, transfer or write off the vehicle the subscription is null and void and you have to pay another fee and start again. We argued with Trackster that the unit is the same, I still own it, it is just in a different vehicle, but they won't have it. Does any one think this is unreasonable, after all, the tracking unit is the same it's just tracking a different vehicle with new number plates. I would be interested in your thoughts or if you have had a similar experience. Tezza

David It says if you sell, transfer the unit or writeoff the vehicle you will forefit your subscription, my own fault for not reading the very small print, but when it says it is transferable and subscription is for life you don't expect to pay again. What gets me down is that i could pay a life time fee, drive the van 100 yds, get involved in an accident where the van is a write off and providing the tracking unit has survived the crash i would have to pay again if i had it fitted to a new van. I can't see why they can't just change my details on their data base, like my insurance company for a small administration fee.

Well Tezza, yes it does sound like a rip off but if it's in your contract you're stuck. Perhaps someone should have explained that detail to you at the start but the onus is on you to read the contract before signing it not them to tell you what it says. It does sound unfair but as it's in your contract you have no option but to accept it. D.

It's a pity this is not a financial transaction, as you could then complain to the FSA about 'mis-selling'. Remember that, though it's still badged as the 'RAC' it is now a commercial enterprise (not a club) and has nothing to do with the RAC Club. But you've certainly put me off getting an RAC tracking system!

I wouldnt put you off buying an RAC Trackstar specifically. I'd honestly say is it really worthwhile "investing" in a tracking system? They are over rated. £500.00 up front, £100.00 a year...I've been told some companies only get 1 in 3 stolen caravans back. Prevention is better than cure I've been told, so I'm gonna find a prevention, bet it's half the price!

I doubt it - a decent alarm system for a motorhome will set you back at least £600 without any friperies (such as auto dialling your m obile phone so you know there's an attempted break-in when you're in the supermarket!). But you need one of these systems even if you have a tracking system. The theft of motorhomes is quite rare (now the ring in the north-west has been broken by police!), but theft FROM motorhomes is all too common. One other warning: if you have left-hand drive, remember that the market for your stolen motorhome is the whole of Europe!

have you spoke to trading standards? i think this sound misleading, and should have been pointed out to you before you purchased. i certanily wouldnt have paid that amount of money for something that could have been written off as soon as you drove away from the fitters. pete

Me to DAM CON ARTIST they are :-( They should of made sure that the customer has their attention drawn to that Paragraph ) Or even when the client phoned warn them are you aware there will be a charge. You shouldn't be allowed to just not say anything when the customer phones. I wouldn't buy that I bet it was rather expensive Both the original unit and then the cost of moving it . J :-(

Archived