Meaning of French road signs

spospe

Whilst touring France we have often seen road signs which appear to be prohibiting something, such as a round sign with a red outer ring, a white inner background and a silhouette of a motorhome. This seems to mean that no motorhomes are allowed (parking, overnighting etc.) However we have often seen the same sign with a red diagonal line running across it. What is the difference?

Sorry if this sounds stupid, but I really don't get the difference between these signs, with and without the diagonal line

The circular sign in red with the picture of a vehicle inside the circle means that the vehicle indicated is not allowed for access. Where you see a sign with a red diagonal line passing through it, it means that restriction is now lifted.

You will see similar with the names of the villages when entering them have no diagonal line through them but on leaving the village you see the diagonal line through the name indicating that you are now leaving the area.

Alan

Derek Uzzell - 2014-04-26 8:32 AM

Lenny is correct - both types of sign are prohibitions.

This sample of signs may be of interest

http://tinyurl.com/n57a2or

Derek, can you explain then what is the difference between "D0737" and "D0653" as displayed on the above tinyurl ? This is exactly the sort of signage that my original question was asking about. They both appear to be prohibitions, but why the extra diagonal line?

spospe - 2014-04-26 10:38 AM

Derek Uzzell - 2014-04-26 8:32 AM

Lenny is correct - both types of sign are prohibitions.

This sample of signs may be of interest

http://tinyurl.com/n57a2or

Derek, can you explain then what is the difference between "D0737" and "D0653" as displayed on the above tinyurl ? This is exactly the sort of signage that my original question was asking about. They both appear to be prohibitions, but why the extra diagonal line?

If you click on the window containing the signs you get to the explanation of their meanings which, for both of those signs states, "Interdit aux camping-cars" (No motorhomes).

So the answer to your question is that both signs mean the same thing. My guess is that the one without the diagonal has been misunderstood, possibly as meaning that camping-cars are permitted, so the graphic with the diagonal has been adopted because its message is clearer.

BTW, one thing not mentioned above is that the town/village name board in France also indicates the beginning of the mandatory 50kph speed restriction, and the end of town name board (the one with the diagonal through the town/village name) indicates the resumption of the national speed limit (again, unless signed otherwise).

Apologies Roland, I managed to miss your post re the speed limits. Snap! :-)

rolandrat - 2014-04-26 1:40 PM

Just to add that village and town signs with a red surround indicate 30mph unless stated otherwise. Once you have left the town the sign will have a red diagonal line through it.

and the red surround will have become a black surround.

The signage which took me a long time to work out was the one which says 'Toutes Droight' (Apologies for spelling!) which I always thought meant 'always right' - ie turn right.

Only when we saw no sign of many Hypermarkets by doing this, did I realise it actually meant 'keep straight on'.....still I guess that's French logic!

Now, of course, we can usually find the Hypermarkets by using the Satnav, although access is still sometimes rather difficult especially as quite a few no have height barriers on some of the entrance/exits!

Archived