Economy ferries to Spain

skercat

What are they like? Well I am stuck on one and its not very comfortable. To give the operator their due, they did delay sailing because of the forecast storms, but this is the story so far.

What a flippin nightmare!  We lost the engines late last night and so had no stabilisers,  so we were bobbing about in the Bay of Biscay like a cork. They had difficulty in starting the secondary power. I was taken from my cabin to the seats where the roll was less pronounced.Electricity kept cutting off all night, engines went again at about 3 am and they had real problems starting them. I did ask the purser earlier if the captain thought it was wise to go on when we were so close to port in Brittany. Estimated time of arrival 11.30pm, so bang goes my hotel in Salamanca.

Sleep so far - 2 hours in the cinema.  Injuries so far - fell over light on deck, so bleeding leg, and got tossed to the other side of my cabin, hit my head hard and bit my tounge.

Eaten so far - M&S roll before we sailed, half a box of grapes and two special K bars.  They are giving us a hot lunch, I might try some.Sea is so rough I'm not going to scare myself by looking at it. Not feeling too sea sick thanfully due to dosing up and sea bands on my wrist.

I will certainly not be doing this again.

Shame you are having such a rough time (literally!) - we no experience of "economy ferries" but have used Brittany Ferries to Santander on many occasions and had superb service, superb food - and to be fair considering it is a cross channel ferry - very good entertainment in the evening as well.

Guest JudgeMental
makes no sense to me, travelling in a potential death trap...half an hour on the eurotunnel, 2 overnights and I can be in Alicante. you still have a days drive to get to Spanish Med coast..its a nonsense to be honest

You're absolutely correct judgemental, and this is what I would have done in your circumstances. However, this time I am taking the car to the Algarve and it seemed like a good plan at the time. I will certainly be returning by your route!

You're absolutely correct judgemental, and this is what I would have done in your circumstances. However, this time I am taking the car to the Algarve and it seemed like a good plan at the time. I will certainly be returning by your route!

Currenty in Spain, nice and hot!!

Travelled down from Cherbourg two nights stopover in France , then through the Stomport Tunnel, (first time , lovely scenic route) then on to Calpe.

PJay

PS Saw Bruce (BGD)here on Thursday, very good show, talented guy!!

pjay

Yes Patricia, it was very similar to that. When I went to the information desk they were picking the computers up off the floor. Apparently all the glasses in the bar smashed and the kitchen lost a lot of plates.

It was quite disconcerting after the 3rd engine failure to be told the ship was now safe.

2 thoughts - the ship is probably not fit for the purpose of crossing the Bay of Biscay in a gale, and safety was probably compromised by the company, I cannot think that the captain would have continued after the first engine failure which was coupled with a secondary power failure when we were so close to Brest.

PJay - 2014-04-28 4:24 PM

Travelled down from Cherbourg two nights stopover in France , then through the Stomport Tunnel, (first time , lovely scenic route) then on to Calpe.

PJay

pjay

Please send Bruce my regards and tell him his humour and good sense is VERY much missed on here!

Guest pelmetman
CliveH - 2014-04-28 6:52 PM

PJay - 2014-04-28 4:24 PM

PJay

pjay

Please send Bruce my regards and tell him his humour and good sense is VERY much missed on here!

Ditto ;-)..........

Re the Bay of Biscuit................I sailed it countless times as a matelot............but I can recall the few occasions it was a smooth crossing ;-)..........I'd rather take a slow drive down, than buy a ticket to vomit :D...........

Like Nelson.........It took me a week to regain my sea legs B-)...........

Archived