O/T laptop font sizes

tonyishuk

I have recently changed my laptop and am having difficulty with viewing some internet pages i.e. These forum pages which appear correctly but only take up half the screen wth font that needs to read with a magnifying glass. If I change the screen properties, the LCD screen has a black surround and a message saying that I am not taking ful advantage of my display and it should be set to 1400 X 1050 pixels. ( I assume the web page is written to 1200 or 900 pixels accross.) Needless to say as the page would seem to be java scripted rather than HTML, using the IE >>view>>font size does not work. (Does on HTLM pages as it should) I have set the screen to 120% large fonts, this is OK on the toolbar and other MSoft areas, but not on the material on the downloaded pages. Any hints ? Thanks ( apologies for any sepllling mistakes, the fonts almost too small to read !) TonyIsh UK

Thanks for the reply. Wish it was as simple as that. Iff Ido that I end up with a 1024 X 768 pixel square with a black surround making up the rest of the picture ! I found a work around but it does make the pictures and layout of the web page alter by using Tools >> Internet options>>accessibility and "Ignore font size". Its not pretty but it works. Also found that on HTML pages (not these forum type pages) That if you hold down ctrl and scroll the mouse wheel it changs the size of the font. Learn something everyday !! Rgds TonyIsh UK

Hi Tony, It suggests tha the correct video driver is not active or possibly installed. 1. Right click MY COMPUTER and select MANAGE 2. Then DEVICE MANAGER Browse the lower right panel for listed devices with YELLOW badge with exlanation mark (indicating the correct driver is not installed). If this is the case, either re-install the correct video driver from the supplied system CD's or from the video manufacturers web page for the graphics board installed. Hope above is helpful - Regards Terry

I don't want to get all technical, but if you're having problems reading some websites (including this one!) and you can't resize the text (using Internet Explorer, click View > Text Size in the top menu), you might want to change your browser to Firefox. It's actually a lot better - and a lot more secure (less viruses etc.) - then Internet Explorer. If you do use Firefox, you can shrink/enlare text sizes by hodling down the Ctrl key and pressing + or -, even on sites that won't let you change the text size normally. Be warned though - some sites (this one included) have been designed using a specific font size - if you change it, the sites won't look as good. At least you'll be able to read them though! -Moderator Mike

Many tahnks for all your replies. The problem lay with the BIOS settings. It seems that the Bios for the laptop (Dell Lattitude D600) provides for a "static screen" of 1400 X 1050 pix, Which it was set on. Hence the black band around whatever size I set apart from max. The other setting alows for automatic rezizing using the scren properties sizes as its base Pixel size. As always obvious when you know the answer ! Thanks for you help TonyIsh IUK

Archived