Vienna in September

Bojitoes

We are looking to plan our late summer trip and have a hankering for Vienna. Any help and suggestions re route to follow, ( not great with heights) places to see, things to do would be much appreciated. Info on need for Vignettes/ go boxes also helpful, van is plated at 3500kgs.

Loose thoughts at the moment suggest leaving UK mid / late August then coming back first week October to coincide with wine festivals on the Rhine. We have stayed on several stellplatz in Germany before but prefer to mix sites and stellplatz / aires every couple of days. We will use ACSI sites wherever possible in September.

As always any help much appreciated

Many thanks

bob

At 3500kg, you will only need a Vignette (and then only for "fast" roads or motorways), not a Go-Box.

Current prices are €8.50 for a 10 day sticker, or €24.80 for a 2-Month one, so not too expensive.

Available at most border crossings, petrol stations, and all post-offices (and if you transit into Austria on the motorway, make sure you get one (at the services before the border) before you enter.

Whilst I favour the Western end of Austria more, Vienna is an interesting city, and not too bad to visit by motorhome.

There are various sites on the city's edge, but if you are looking for ACSI ones, then Donaupark at Klosterneuburg is an €18 one, and we have used it. Not exciting, but perfectly adequate for visiting the city, as it is right next to the (suburban) station, with trains into and back from the centre at all hours. Day tickets are available covering all the transport in the city as well.

If you like the idea of cities, why not take in Salzburg at the same time? I can recommend Camping Nord Sam as a good site for access to the centre (bus from the door), and it runs a €23 offer in the second part of September (2 people, pitch and electricity) for CCI or ACSI card holders.

Lots more I could add, but better to respond to specifics, I think. Shoot away if you have any questions.

Archived