blown out window hobby van 2008

graham boyd

i bought a 2 handhand Hobby van 2008 last year, i live in Holland near the German border. the camper has 48,000 km on the clock, two weeks after purchase while on a trial run before going on holiday the front top window blew out while just entering a tunnel, I was unable to stop. The wind entering blew out the sun/darkening blinds and scared the hell out of me and my wife. A week before our annual holiday I thought it wouldn't be a problem to get it replaced. The local dealer wasn't interested, probably because I hadn't bought the camper from him. seeking legal advice I was advised to declare the damage as a result of a bird colliding into the window on my all inclusive insurance, I realised that contact with the factory wouldn't get me far due to the fact that the guarantee period had expired. my insurance weren't to bothered, they sent an expert to look at the damage, obviously there was nothing tom see. A hole were the window should have been, and the blinds that looked like I had ran over them with a tractor.

together with the local dealer the damage was estimated at 3,800 euro's depending on whether the overhead cupboards needed to be removed for the repairs, this was not certain until they started on the repair. due to holidays at the Hobby factory and there suppliers it was not possible for a quick repair. parts were ordered, I made a temporary plywood window covered it in skai leather screwed and kitted it to the frame. 5 weeks holiday later, Europe 5,000 kilometres , no leakages. Back to the dealer , still no parts , eventually 8 weeks after the parts were ordered I made an appointment for the repair, bringing the camper to the dealer, just to be told they had received the wrong colour kit, a new order. two weeks further finally repaired. cost 3,800 euros ± 3,000 pounds. luckily paid for by my insurance. cost of window 600 euros, rubber surround 80 euro's, blind plus surrounding strip 500 euros . cost of fitting blind which I'm sure was only 6 parkers, 1200 euro's. unbelievable, after I finally received my camper back, I put in a complaint too my insurance company over the excessive cost of this repair. I was told "what's the problem it was paid" is it any wonder that our insurance premiums are so expensive???? having looked at forums in Holland and Germany, I've discovered that this problem is quite common. It seems that the glue / adhesive used, is due too to much sunlight and has gone porous resulting in the window leaving the vehicle on its own.

I have just removed my winter cover from the camper prior too a short trip this weekend, now the round window above the shower/toilet was also loose. This is a two part window, the top layer was completely loose from the lower layer, if I had not been on the roof I wouldn't have noticed resulting in yet again another expensive repair. I have re glued the two halves with 3m window glue. hopefully this will hold. I advise all camper owners too check all window's and rubbers prior too all trips. be prepared for expensive repairs and watch out for dealers/garages who are just out for your hard earned cash. Replacing tyres is common on caravan's and campers after 6-9 years maybe this go's for windows!!!!! as well. I am pleased with my camper except for the above named issues.

Guest pelmetman

Welcome to the forum Graham ;-)...................

As for your tale of woe.............I'd best not say anything :-|...............

Although German built vans are apparently synonymous with quality on here(?)...........

Blimey another problem with a German built van in a few days, what is going on I thought they were infallible. Sorry to hear about your problem though, this sort of thing just should not happen with just a small amount of decent quality control at the build stage.

Guest JudgeMental
ignore the clueless numpty above, personally would not go near a van with these front "style" windows.....Hekis are bad enough!

Archived