Omnistor awning

jackieb

Omnistor awning  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We have an Omnistor awning on our Chausson motorhome which does not cover our habitation door when the door is open. When it rains we cannot have the door open under the awning and cannot fit side rain blocker panels etc as the door opens right against the side panel.

Can anyone suggest a solution?

Many Thanks.

Many thanks for the link,

We are having the van serviced on Tuesday and will enquire if the trim can be removed and the awning shifted further on which will hopefully clear the door.

There is nothing worse than sitting inside the van on a Spanish campsite when the rains come with the door shut!!.

Will post any good news.

Hi Jackie

The below thread has my posting on it from when we had the awning fitted to our Chausson Flash 04 where they had to cut out the bit of the cowl to allow the awning to go further forward, look for my posting made on the following date & time which gives details: 22 April 2010 9:54 PM

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Chausson-Flash-04-comments-please-/18800/31/

jackieb - 2014-05-03 10:10 AM

Many thanks for the link,

We are having the van serviced on Tuesday and will enquire if the trim can be removed and the awning shifted further on which will hopefully clear the door.

There is nothing worse than sitting inside the van on a Spanish campsite when the rains come with the door shut!!.

Will post any good news.

All out Thermo- nuclear war might be a tad worst don't you think?

When we had our service, the fitters said that the awning could not be moved forward because of the trim. We have now bought side blockers which we will use when it rains and open the door as far as it goes. Thanks for all the suggestions, would like to know what other people do who have wind out canopies that don't cover the door when opened.

A couple we know have just brought a 9 month old Roller Team with the same problem , with a bit of thought when fitting, if the awning had been mounted on a 6mm spacer it would have cleared the front trim. To move it now would leave the rear fixing holes exposed, as it's a GRP side &roof may be able to to a reasonable repair.

Just unbelievable what idiots they let loose on vans sometimes.

jackieb - 2014-05-09 8:32 AM

When we had our service, the fitters said that the awning could not be moved forward because of the trim. We have now bought side blockers which we will use when it rains and open the door as far as it goes. Thanks for all the suggestions, would like to know what other people do who have wind out canopies that don't cover the door when opened.

Which is exactly what we were told by our fitters until I suggested to cut it down - they don't want to do it as it looks quite substantial but isn't - it can be cut with a Stanley knife and straight edge, such as a metal ruler or just piece of metal, to guide the blade - not much force is needed. I know because I watched them do it! I gave them permission to try without any comeback on them, in case there was a problem, so they tried doing it very gingerly and were surprised at just how easy it was in the end - they said they'd be suggesting the same to owners of vans with a similar problem.

I'd suggest getting your ladders out and having a good shuftie at your trim and if it flexes a bit when you press it, you know it's just cosmetic and can be cut down.

As for leaving the rear mounting holes exposed, this would of course depend on how much further forward you need to move it as to whether you could leave the brackets as they are and just slide the awning along, or move the whole lot.

Have you got a picture of your van/awning you can put on here - I could have a shuftie and see if it is anything like ours was.

pepe63 - 2014-05-03 10:21 AM

If they can't reposition your existing canopy...is there room for something like this to be used along with it?

(...admittedly it would need some form of awning rail/fixing...and it may look a bit "Heath Robinson" :-S )

Oops! Just realised that I hadn't included a link... :$

http://www.firwoodleisure.co.uk/caravan_door_canopy.html

The above probably wouldn't be preferred my option though, if feasible I would just be looking a packing out the mounting brackets(using alloy/nylon/plastic )so that the awning body/box cleared this trim(..I'd certainly look into that, before I even considered cutting away any bodywork trim...)

This is of cause assuming that the current position of the brackets would allow enough forwards travel, for it to cover the door opening?

Archived