YPRES

trickydicky

Hi everyone, we will be visiting the Mosel in Germany this summer and thought it would be nice to stop in YPRES Belgium for a couple of days as we are travelling so near to it.can anyone recommend anywhere to stay within walking distance of the town please.also, we will be there about the 8th July, will it be easy to park then. Any info welcome thanks.

trickydicky - 2014-05-04 11:13 PM

Hi everyone, we will be visiting the Mosel in Germany this summer and thought it would be nice to stop in YPRES Belgium for a couple of days as we are travelling so near to it.can anyone recommend anywhere to stay within walking distance of the town please.also, we will be there about the 8th July, will it be easy to park then. Any info welcome thanks.

We stayed at camping jeugdstadion when we went, very close to town and memorial

Just googled it and it is FULLY BOOKED for that week, due to tour de France and I think other commitments Well worth a visit, I would try and go another time. If you have relatives who died in WW! at ypres, worth getting details, as I found my great uncle's name, who was with the Dorsetshire Reg

Do google and check for details

PJay

Could be very busy at that time but well worth a visit to pay respect

We were lucky and while looking for somewhere to stay we pulled into a Renault garage and asked for any site info and Peter the garage owner kindly suggested we could stay at the back of his plot , top bloke

Mosel and Ypres is a lovely trip , have fun

I just booked the campsite for the bank holiday, taking the grandchildren, six of us for two nights, €24!

Just note the Belgian name for the town is Ieper (that's a capital " i" not an L) in case you can't find it on a map.

The site to use, as already mentioned is the municipal one about 10 minutes walk from the Menen Gate. The Last Post is played there every day at 20:00 and is well worth a visit.

The site has an on-line booking service in English (I have used it) at:

http://www.jeugdstadion.be/E/index.php

You do not have to pay in advance and the site fee of €12 includes showers, 10 amp EHU and free wi-fi (if you are close to the site office).

Just back from Ypres ...stayed at camping Jeugdstadion on the motorhome section. We had fortuanately booked but lady at reception said they were fully booked due to the start of the 100 year anniversary.

We saw quite a lot turned away in the few days we were there .Well worth a visit.

trickydicky - 2014-05-07 9:02 PM

Thank you all for your replies.was looking forward to visiting but due to it being the 100 th anniversary it may be wise to postpone it until next year.

if you are travelling down the Mosel in to France then a visit to Verdun is worthwhile, lots of WW1 sites to visit. Mainly American cemeteries though still very moving and there are museums and exhibitions etc

1003803439_VerdunWargraves.jpg.f32587f82ed8468a09da25f371330bff.jpg

Archived