toyota IQ with smart entry/keyless ignition flat towing

kaysee

Hi,

New to this forum! Does anyone have any information about how to keep the steering lock off the IQ while flat towing. If you put the car into accessories mode to get the lock off then manually lock the door with the optional key, the steering lock will come on after an hour!

Can't answer your question I'm afraid but we have an IQ and it does seem to have a mind of its own sometimes, so I wish you luck.

Ours is an automatic and cannot be towed on its own wheels so we carry it on a trailer. Very pleased with it as a secondary mode of transport and it often gets used from home as the prefered way to get about locally and on longer trips. Terrific little car isn't it?

We ended up buying a single axle Ifor Williams CT136 trailer which has also worked out very well. It's quite a long trailer because it is designed to transport lightwieight sports cars like the Caterham Seven. In fact I have to load it onto the trailer facing backwards to get the right hitch loading for the trailer. The length of the trailer comes into its own when reversing, which is a real doddle.

I had a Caratow A Frame on another car behind the MH once but hated it - too diffcult to hitch up!

Hi,

Try this link

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/A_FRAME-TOWING-WITH-KEYLESS-IGNITION-/30530/

If you search these forums (2nd icon from LHS on banner above and try something like " IQ lock" or "IQ Tow" choose "all dates" The site will eventually churn out some old threads.

My concern was that Insurance could a problem having made the car tow-able, that said four burly chaps could lift an IQ straight up and onto a trailer, steering lock or no !

Rgds

We don't have the keyless. You could try the Toyota IQ forum, they may be able to help, great car, we have ours on a Brian James trailer fitted with a motor mover, made life very easy. Just bought an armrest from a company in Holland, excellent fit and colour match, the one thing it was missing.

Mark

Hi, thanks for the "links", currently I have gone for the "remove the steering lock". I am now trying to source a female 6 pin socket so that I can unplug the lock and put loop wires into the new blank socket to fool the system that the lock has engaged, it requires feed back from the solenoid, both on and off.

Like the idea of pulling the fuse from the steering, think I may also give this a try. The one big problem with this IQ steering lock is that if you try the starter switch press without depressing the clutch it does disconnect the lock, but there is a built in security feature in that the lock will re-engage after 1 hour regardless.

Toyota's solution: stop every 50mins and press the starter to start the count down again!!! Realy makes you wonder doesn't it.

mildi - 2014-05-06 8:06 PM

We don't have the keyless. You could try the Toyota IQ forum, they may be able to help, great car, we have ours on a Brian James trailer fitted with a motor mover, made life very easy. Just bought an armrest from a company in Holland, excellent fit and colour match, the one thing it was missing.

Mark

Hi Mark

Re the armrest ( + any other additions) do you mind passing on details please.

Are you still running on the original tyres as supplied by B J ?

Regards

F McA .

Frank McAuley - 2014-05-07 5:19 PM

mildi - 2014-05-06 8:06 PM

Mark

Hi Mark

Re the armrest ( + any other additions) do you mind passing on details please.

Are you still running on the original tyres as supplied by B J ?

Regards

F McA .

[/quote

Hi Frank,

This is the armrest, http://www.botecautosport.nl/

There is a choice of fabric or leather, I sent them an email asking for a PayPal request as they didn't have that choice on their website. The goods arrived a few days later.

It would get in the way if you want to get two people in the rear, they would have to get in either side. didn't make any problem for us as we don't use the rear seats much. Four screws to fix, instructions are rubbish. Gives some extra storage in the armrest. With the postage came to about £70.

We bought our BJ trailer second hand from a dealer so not sure on the mileage it had done but we added another 6000 miles to it on our last trip and they now need changing, that's next weeks job as well as getting the brakes checked as we are off again at the end of the month.

Have you changed yours yet?

Hi Mark

Trailer now into its third year and having new tyres ( Hankock - excuse spelling) fitted tomorrow plus brakes adjusted , wheel bearings greased plus the hitch shock absorber!

Thought long and hard about greasing the runners for the veh ramps - any advice please!

PS If it was a 4 wheel trailer I don't think I would change the tyres for another couple of years.

Off the Green Spain on 21 may!

Hi,

To by-pass the electronic steering lock on the IQ all you need to do is by-pass fuse number 14, 20a in the engine compartment fuse box mounted on the passenger side adjacent to the battery. Run a fused line to a 20a rated switch located out of site under the dash on the drivers side. Yoy can't get it wrong as if the switch is off the ehgine will not start, just remeber to switch it of when the lock is off.

• 1 month later...

Hi thanks, found the wire at the steering lock (pink) that feeds the 20 amp fuse in the fuse box you mentioned, I cut the wire and fitted an in-line hide-a-way switch, all I do now is start the car turn switch off and when I turn off the ignition it stops the steering lock coming on.

Thanks again

Archived