Switzerland

Chris0leary

As Will has said its a big country AND mountainious, the BordAtlas from Vicarious Books will show you maps and stalsplatz (aires) but beware something that looks just a few miles up the road is quite possible as we found out up and over a mountain pass :-D spectacular scenery but lots of climbing and twisting hairpin bends.

See Camping @ Walenstaat. Road No 3 GPS Coordinates is 47.11666,9.3 I recommend booking. No idea how much, its a long time since we were there. Nice area and the site was v/clean.

Camping Vitznau on lake Lucerne, not cheap but lovely place and very good amenities.

Dave

Chris, you've asked the same question again. You selected an entry point, so there's no point in suggesting a site on the opposite side of the country. That maybe full when you get there!

Chris, You seem a little miffed on the planning, get yourself organised re mileages and times, if you are travelling with a family they will expect better. Its a long way !

nowtelse2do - 2014-05-07 7:58 PM

See Camping @ Walenstaat. Road No 3 GPS Coordinates is 47.11666,9.3 I recommend booking. No idea how much, its a long time since we were there. Nice area and the site was v/clean.

Camping Vitznau on lake Lucerne, not cheap but lovely place and very good amenities.

Dave

Thanks for that Dave. I've found some good links from one of your suggestions, the problem I have is that during August they want up to 5 days minimum booking.

Any other positive comments or suggestions more than welcome. ;-)

Chris0leary - 2014-05-06 8:08 PM

I'm looking for 2 nights in Switzerland at the beginning of August, can anyone recommend sites I might be able to get a couple of nights. Do they have aires in Switzerland?

Thanks.

Chris

Do you have a need to stop in Switzerland or is just to break the journey in a nice place? If the latter I would look at going via Austria instead of Switzerland. It is a shorter route with no tolls until you reach Austria and then it is only around 14 Euros for a Vingnette instead of around 40 Euros for Switzerland. assuming you are under 3,5 tons.. More difficult over that weight.

We stopped at a great site near Saltzburg (Nattersee) I recommended it is really impressive and it is in the Acsi book which is no help in August of course.

Guest JudgeMental

Interlaken a lovely area with lots of campsites.....plenty of campsites in Switzerland generally as you drive through, have you not campsite POI on your sat nag? If not buy a book. We go to Italy every year but enter at Basle, it's toll free motorway all the way via Lille/Metz/Mons/Luxenburgh (cheap fuel)/ towards Strasbourg, then south to Basle and border, this the route most take......

Where are you staying on lake Garda, we like camping Fornella........

Thanks for the advice fellas. I've been using route planners but just putting in the final destination in and most pick routes south of the suggested routes but avoiding extra charges sounds good too. My sat nav does have camp sites programmed so a last resort might be to just tootle along and try to find somewhere nice along the way. It is just to break up the journey as I have a spare couple of days before I need to be in Italy. We are booked on camping eden site near Salo as our in laws used to work there and recommended it, it's also close to the wedding we are going to in Salo.

So many options but looking forward to our first European trip in the MH. :-D

I'm looking for 2 nights in Switzerland at the beginning of August, can anyone recommend sites I might be able to get a couple of nights. Do they have aires in Switzerland?

2 nights tells me you are intending to drive straight through?

Whichever route you eventually choose, pull off a main road and have a meander along any small country road and you will find plenty of places suitable for an overnight stop.

This may prove useful;

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=210499601014244284624.00045ee21c8c311d7efd2&ie=UTF8&t=m&ll=46.80382,7.948608&spn=2.256057,5.493164&z=8&source=embed&dg=feature

Bulletguy - 2014-05-10 12:13 AM

2 nights tells me you are intending to drive straight through?

Whichever route you eventually choose, pull off a main road and have a meander along any small country road and you will find plenty of places suitable for an overnight stop.

This may prove useful;

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=210499601014244284624.00045ee21c8c311d7efd2&ie=UTF8&t=m&ll=46.80382,7.948608&spn=2.256057,5.493164&z=8&source=embed&dg=feature

Great link! Thanks.

Guest JudgeMental
from Basle to Italian border is a 3hr drive + tunnel delays, so approx 170 miles...No need to stop unless you want to, that being said lots of nice towns to visit in Switzerland, as said earlier Lucerne, and Interlaken good choices for a few days.....

Archived