In car video camera

MickyDee

Hi, has anyone had any experience with the in car video camera's. The type that continuously records what's in front of you whilst driving ?

Do they call them 'crash cameras'

I thought I had seen something on the forum but cannot find anything so far

Thankyou..............Mike :-S

I use a RoadHawk camera which I transfer between the car and motorhome this records video / GPS position / speed / and in the event of an impact the G-Forces of the impact all recorded on a sim card which you can play back on your computer . As they say the camera never lies.

I have a Roadhawk for many years and has proved reliable, I recently updated to the HD version which I am OK with, but has reported a number of problems starting up. Mine stumbles occasionally.

Not cheap but you get a bit of kit with the initial kit. I purchased a second mounting kit as we do not use the M/home and car at the same time, so I just swap the camera over and plug in. Also have a suction mount which we use in a hire car, if we have one.

OTHOhand Road pro sell a cheapish setup which has quite good reviews at about a third of the Roadhawk price.

Rgds

If you search the web for voucher codes, sometimes you can get a discount code for a Roadhawk, (Piston Heads, taxi drivers and fleet drivers seem to get discount, if you order on line, the website does not know !)

Ive been using a X3000 2.7" 140° Dual Lens Dash Board Camera Car Dvr Black Box Video Recorder which i got from amazon a couple of years since , it has gps , and also bump technology , fitted it with a 32gb card etc , its been a brilliant piece of kit , you can take out the card and copy to computer anytime all recording when played back shows gps position speed etc , so you can use it for proof of accident etc or just for travel pics , it cost me about £35 , i purchased the card seperately it really is money well spent , infact have a look at them on you tube , amazon still sell them . My best buy to date .

;-)

Yes it is ive done it for the car , the mount that comes with the camera can be stuck to the dash using the suction cup on a flat surface of some kind or what i did i bought a monopod camera mount only a few quid from a camera store and stuck it down with double sided tape , once youve got the camera and mount youll soon see how it can be done . ;-)

sounds a good idea seen russian clips on youtube.

do they stick to the window with a sucker like a tomtom.

for power do they plug into the cigar lighter or pre charged up from mains.

do they have a built in ssd drive to record too, how many hours can they store before overwriting.

Hi this model does have a mount with suction cup for windscreen mounting but can be adapted for mounting anywhere else , it is powered from the cigar lighter , and actually has a small built in battery for instant playback but that doesnt last long without external power , it records onto a micro sd memory card so the bigger the memory card is the more you you can record before overwrite , but the initial idea of the device is to record what happened before any accident or incident , but obviously it can be used to record anything you want , and any of the recordings can be watched and recorded on your computer . I use mine as a black box if you like so its always on when i switch on the ignition and ill only view it when need to , wheni have viewed it ive been impressed with it , it shows speed , gps positioning via google maps and gravity forces on a side screen , and if you use the inside cam it shows whats happening in the car on a split screen plus sound , i switch off the sound and the inside cam but its up to the user , anyway see the demo on you tube and youll see . Try this link

duetto owner - 2014-05-09 8:53 AM

sounds a good idea seen russian clips on youtube.

do they stick to the window with a sucker like a tomtom.

for power do they plug into the cigar lighter or pre charged up from mains.

do they have a built in ssd drive to record too, how many hours can they store before overwriting.

Most models use a windscreen type sucker. Some can be semi-permanently foxed with a 3M double sided pad. Commercial firms and Taxis tend to favour the 3M pad.

Most have a cigar lighter type power lead. Or they can be connected to a 12V point in the car fusebox.

Models like the DVR743 are designed to be permanently wired in. There are now a number of mobile fitting companies who will wire-in a camera for you.

Although many models can be charged from the mains the battery on most cameras is only good for about 1 hour..

The usual storage media is a Micro SD card. Max. supported size is usually 32GB. Storage time depends on many factors - recording resolution, 1 channel or 2 channel, audio, G-force sensor, GPS etc.

A recording resolution of 1080P will use over 4 times amount of storage space required for VGA resolution recording.

I hope that helps.

After reading another thread i bought one off amazon,excellent for the price,£35 plus memory card,works really well even at night has gps,g sensor,2 cameras and fixes to screen with a sucker.User manual written in chinglish so hard to understand but unit easy to operate.

I've wired mine through the courtesy light, which is live when ignition is on.The cameras only take milliamperes so quite safe to operate with appropriate in-line fuse and powers off with ignition.

it records for as long as youve got the ignition on and stops when its not , its a continuous loop and yes the memory card would and could be used for evidence if needed .

gocro good idea wiring in with courtesy light .

Archived