International Driving Permit for Slovenia

Zydeco Joe

Just spotted that you need a photo style driving licence to drive in Slovenia. We are planning on going to Lake Bled area so is this true and as I have the old style paper licence will I need a International Driving Permit. Has any body used one ?. :-S

Slovenia is in the EU so providing you have an EU recognised driving licence, i.e. Pink & Green or Pink with EU logo on it, you don't need any other. The very old Green ones are often not accepted in EU countries.

Guest Had Enough

There's no such thing as an International Driving Licence and beware of sites that charge you for one. They're not worth the paper they're written on.

What you'll need as you know is an International Driving Permit (IDP). IDPs are available from a Post Office for £5.50 and are a requirement in certain countries if you do not have a photo ID licence.

Slovenia may be in the EU but you will need an IDP if you only have the old paper licence. This applies to some other countries as well.

Why not bite the bullet and upgrade to a photo licence? Recently in Morocco I went into a telephone shop to buy a data dongle. I was asked for a passport, as proof of ID is essential as it turned out. I'd left my passport in the motorhome and cycled into town. I offered them my photo ID driving licence and they accepted that in lieu of a passport, but only because it had my picture on it. Saved me a lot of hassle.

Hi Lenny, its not that's its old info its conflicting info that's the trouble. On the AA site it tells me that I need a IDP but on the RAC site I cannot find Slovenia on the drop down list of countries that need one !!!!.

We are going to Europe next week so Time is of the Essence.

Guest Had Enough
Zydeco Joe - 2014-05-08 12:50 PM

Hi Lenny, its not that's its old info its conflicting info that's the trouble. On the AA site it tells me that I need a IDP but on the RAC site I cannot find Slovenia on the drop down list of countries that need one !!!!.

We are going to Europe next week so Time is of the Essence.

Here's the AA list and as you say Slovenia is on it. I'd play safe if I were you. It's only £5.50!

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/idp-requirements-by-country.html

Don't really want a new photo licence if the truth is to be told, in fact I would still be using the old Red one if I could LOL. Plus its pushing it to get a photo licence in the time left.

The nearest Post Office that I can get a IDP from is in Stoke on Trent and it looks like a trip to them or not bother with Slovenia and or Croatia , could end up in Northern Spain and Portugal instead but would like to go to Lake Bled if we can as it does look nice.

Its all the confusing info that's the big trouble plus it was only last night that I found that I might need the IDP.

I know the International Licence is a total waste of money and a bit of a con.

starvin marvin - 2014-05-08 1:18 PM

Why ask for advice then ignore it? For Christsake go and get a photo IDS, why change your plans for £5.50, it beggars belief.

Am NOT ignoring advice...........

I asked if any one had USED ONE........... plus the conflicting info I am seeing.

Its not the £5.50 that's the problem its the BOTHER of getting the thing that's the problem as I live a few miles from both of the locations that issue IDP's i.e Stoke and Birmingham (not all PO do) and as I stated Time is of the Essence. I still have a few other things to do before we drive to Dover and the Post Office trip will take sometime plus a few miles.

I am not changing plans just looking at options. Monday looks my only chance to get the IDP, its a shame that I only found out yesterday that I need one.

Joe

Regards your licence, personally i'd advise going for a photo id one as these are instantly recognised in all countries. OK they have a validation limit on them of ten years due to the photograph and UK Gov spotting yet another loophole to grab more tax (£20 per renewal). But once 70 years old the renewal is free, so in my case (i'm 64) my next one won't cost me anything.

I know you are reluctant to have one but quite frankly it saves a lot of mither.

Bulletguy - 2014-05-08 5:57 PM

Joe

Regards your licence, personally i'd advise going for a photo id one as these are instantly recognised in all countries. OK they have a validation limit on them of ten years due to the photograph and UK Gov spotting yet another loophole to grab more tax (£20 per renewal). But once 70 years old the renewal is free, so in my case (i'm 64) my next one won't cost me anything.

I know you are reluctant to have one but quite frankly it saves a lot of mither.

Well I'm 64 this year and I did not know the licence was free after 70 so that helps.

My problem is getting one from the DLVC or whatever they are called now by early next week. So will have to go with the £5.50 fee each (My wife's also has a paper one) and drive to the post office in Stoke and fetch one. Slovenia is getting dear with this x 2 plus the 2A Vignette at 30 euros and campsite that are not the cheapest .But we would like to go to the place will have to make sure we wild camp or use aires on the way LOL

Zydeco Joe - 2014-05-08 6:10 PM

Bulletguy - 2014-05-08 5:57 PM

Joe

Well I'm 64 this year and I did not know the licence was free after 70 so that helps.

My problem is getting one from the DLVC or whatever they are called now by early next week. So will have to go with the £5.50 fee each (My wife's also has a paper one) and drive to the post office in Stoke and fetch one. Slovenia is getting dear with this x 2 plus the 2A Vignette at 30 euros and campsite that are not the cheapest .But we would like to go to the place will have to make sure we wild camp or use aires on the way LOL

You can apply for the photo id licence online here; https://www.gov.uk/exchange-paper-driving-licence

Unfortunately a bit late for next week now though but well worth doing on your return.

Enjoy Slovenia. I've been many times and it is a lovely country. As has been mentioned it is possible to avoid the Vignette fees and the easy way is to set your SatNav to do that. When i first toured there it was entirely toll free so you can imagine the shock i had......and the fees are among the highest in Europe making the Swiss toll charge which has remained unchanged for years, an absolute bargain by comparison!

I can recommend an excellent Campsite at Radovljica N46° 20' 51.8" E14° 10' 20.5" which has excellent onsite facilities with large modern toilet/shower block kept scrupulously clean. Radovljica itself is a small quiet town which is a pleasant easy 10 minute stroll from the site. If you stop there, be sure to visit the old part of Radovljica in the centre which is very pretty.

Also Bled is less than 4 miles from Radovljica so you would be ideally situated.....and it's cheaper than the site at Bled!

If you stay at Camping Radovljica, please give my best wishes to Vesna, one of the Receptionists who is a lovely young lady.....just ask if she is the "Slovenian Firecracker" :D and she will know who you've come recommended by!

Archived