Damp in locker door

Coachman

Go a reading of 40/% at bottom of door.Removed door and dismantled alloy trim around door to find the 2mm board has damp up to 50mm from the bottom of the door. So far with a fan and hair dryer got it dry apart from the bottom centre. Did think of removing board but its stuck solid in places to the board plus would not be able to find identical board.What way would the dealer would do it?.

Pastiche - 2014-05-08 8:01 PM

Go a reading of 40/% at bottom of door.Removed door and dismantled alloy trim around door to find the 2mm board has damp up to 50mm from the bottom of the door. So far with a fan and hair dryer got it dry apart from the bottom centre. Did think of removing board but its stuck solid in places to the board plus would not be able to find identical board.What way would the dealer would do it?.

Hi

Same prob this month on 3 yrs old AT but on both rear locker doors : all damp wood removed and frames resealed by dealer at a cost of £1500 - thanks to M B & G!

I think this type of prob needs professional surgery and reconstruction!

Often the motorhome builder wil drill a couple of drain holes at bottom of door. This is all fine unless the gap at the botton of door is large enough from the mounting frame. If too small water bridges across the gap and gets sucked up into the holes and botton of door wil get damp. Make sure clearance at botton of door is evenly spaced with top gap or slight more. Check to see if water stays bridged across gap or drains out of the gap.

I would just let the panel dry out, resting on newspaper is good for absorbing , moisture and in a warm place, just like you do with wet shoes.

Thanks for replies, so went to dealer where they gave me the right colour board and mastic to stick board to polystyrene.It took the whole tube to do that and then used another type sealer for the surround.When I put the mastic to the board you have to put heavy weight on it as the mastic can expand, I left that over night and finished next day. Messy job with so much sealers but worth it. No idea what dealer would charge but would have though it would take at least three hours plus,I spent six !.

Thanks for replies, so went to dealer where they gave me the right colour board and mastic to stick board to polystyrene.It took the whole tube to do that and then used another type sealer for the surround.When I put the mastic to the board you have to put heavy weight on it as the mastic can expand, I left that over night and finished next day. Messy job with so much sealers but worth it. No idea what dealer would charge but would have though it would take at least three hours plus,I spent six !.

Archived