Alden satellite system no longer works

dave42

I have a 2010 AutoTrail Tracker and had an Alden Platinum 80cm Libertas satellite system fitted by Vanbits in June 2010.

Checking the 'van out for this years travelling we discovered that the Alden system was not finding the Astra 28E. Vanbits explained that the Satellites had changed and that the Alden control box would need to be replaced by Alden for £500+ or they could fit a new system for £12-1500.

I have emailed Alden several times, through their website, but have received no reply.

It seems that a system that is less than four years old is now useless and that I need an expensive replacement. Does anyone know if this is correct or is there an alternative, cheaper way of resolving our problem?

Any advice you can offer would be welcome.

Our free to air sat stopped late last season and I was told that it would need reprograming (£40.00) anyway tried it again a week or so latter and it worked & just been away again and it still works okay, perhaps I have been lucky.

Pete

breakaleg - 2014-05-12 3:58 PM

Our free to air sat stopped late last season and I was told that it would need reprograming (£40.00) anyway tried it again a week or so latter and it worked & just been away again and it still works okay, perhaps I have been lucky.

Pete

The units we're posting about are auto systems, they are searching out a particular signal which tells them they have found the satellite, is yours, or is it manually pointed at the satellite?

Hi

We have an Autotrail using a Manual tracking system, Astra 28 Dome, and using it fine, picking up 100’s of English stations.

In central France at the moment no problem but don't know what make it is until I go back to the van, whatever was fitted by Autotrail on last years model...

Hi

We have an Autotrail using a Manual tracking system, Astra 28 Dome, and using it fine, picking up 100’s of English stations.

In central France at the moment no problem but don't know what make it is until I go back to the van, whatever was fitted by Autotrail on last years model...

• 1 month later...

I have an Alden Auto system which crashed about 2 years ago. Contacted Van Bitz who checked the controler and recommended that it should be replaced, which I did, with a Libitas Auto controler/free view system which worked perfectly until recently. However I have lost all the programmed channels from the box and although I can locate Astra 1, Astra2, Hotbird. I can only get French channels on Astra 2. Can any one tell me how to locate English channels..... as Van Bitz did not supply me with an operating manual, despite me requesting one. Their current response is that the recent satellite changes mean that the system needs reprogramming!!! ......... I the meantime I refitted the original Alden controller and surprise it now works fine ..... So the original diagnosis appears to have been wrong ....... Therefore I suggest a little caution if the view of the experts recommend new upgraded systems as you may not need one.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.....

Archived