Cruise Control Fault / Fuel Gauge Fault

ANN

We have a Pioneer Tasman motorhome on a Peugeot Boxer 2007 2.2 HDI. We are having problems with the cruise control and sometimes the fuel warning light and needle. Basically we are going along with the cruise control engaged when it disengages itself and sometimes when this happens the fuel gauge needle drops down to empty and the fuel warning light comes on. The fuel needle then bounces back up to the current fuel level and the warning light goes out. We have noticed that this seems to happen when we are either on a long incline or decline (ie it first happened to us on the french motorways which have long hills up and down). We then turn the cruise control off and try to re-engage it but it won't come back on. We have found that If we stop the vehicle and turn the engine off and leave it standing for a period of time and start off again the cruise control will then usually re-engage itself, until we then come to another long hill. Has anyone had experience of this issue and if so did you find out what the problem was. We have looked at the fuses and the cruise control, fuel gauge and air conditioning are all on the same fuse. We have changed the fuse but this didn't seem to fix the problem. We tested the air conditioning and this still works even though the cruise control has disengaged itself. The computer diagnostic was checked but the fault was not retained or registered on the computer within the management system. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

I had a mysterious cruise control fault on my 2006 Ducato 2.8 JTD which involved dropping out intermittently and eventually failing completely. Didn't solve it. Come MOT time I noticed the brake lights had stopped working too.

Changed the brake light switch - still not working so looked for blown fuses. A single fuse on the board behind the panel near the driver's left shin (my MH is LHD, so left hand side of the dashboard) was found to be blown and replacing that fixed the cruise control as well as the brake light! No further problems since.

No idea whether this has implications for your 2.2 Boxer but I suggest it could pay you to check the fuses!

Ann it sounds like an intermittent faulty earth. By asking the question on the forum I take it that you do not feel competent to remedy it yourself. Your best bet is to get an Automotive electrical technician to have a look for you. He should be able to identify a common earth between the faulty areas and cure it for you.

Good Luck

Docted

Hi Ann,

It may be that the cruise control fault is unrelated to any other problem. When my cruise control kept 'dropping out' occasionally, I tracked the problem down to the cut-out switch under the clutch pedal. I adjusted the switch (in relation to the clutch pedal) and had no further issues. You'll also have one under the brake pedal which you can check.

Whenever a fault crops up, always check the simple things first!

Hi, I wonder if the cruise control is simply disengageing because your speed has dropped below the lowest setting that it can handle. If you change to a lower gear, increase speed to more than 35 mpg, then try to reengage cruise, will it reengage?.

I was puzzled the first time it happened, but realised the cruise control has a point on a long uphill drag where it just cant maintain speed, so disengages and makes you sort out the gears. It might not reengage until after the next time you stop and restart the engine.

dont have any suggestions re fuel gauge probem, but guess the electronics has sensed not enough power for maintaining cruise, drops cruise out, and misinterprets loss of power as a fuel problem.

Hope it might help?

Tonyg3nwl

Thanks for all your replies, Husband currently has his head under the pedals checking some of your suggestions! Will let you know how we get on. Will probably had to do another test run. Trying to get it sorted soon as we are off to Germany in a few days time.

Thank you

Ann, I had a few intermittent problems with my Fiat's cruise control. Turned out that I had stopped following the instructions in its use and worse, I had inadvertently been doing things that disengaged the cruise control.

When you have your test run, have the instructions handy!

Archived