new Ford transit

hobby102

Does anyone lnow of a converter who's planning a motorhome on the brand new 2014 Ford Transit. I've just seen one in my local Ford dealer and it looks great.

I just don't want one of those horrible Fiat ones so Im wating to see what happens on the new Transit

(?) (?) (?)

It will be seen from the following link

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/Motorhomes/News/New-models/Murvi-to-launch-conversions-on-new-Transit/_ch1_nw3272_pg1

that Murvi plans to build PVC models on the new Transit, and that it is anticipated that the French manufacturer Chausson will produce Transit-based coachbuilt motorhomes.

The frontal look of the new Transit seems to have been designed for USA tastes. Personally, I think it looks like the vehicle has just survived being run into a 30-tonne concrete block during crash-testing.

It might be used as a cheap Mercedes alternative (for smallish-size twinned-rear-wheel RWD designs) by Continental motorcaravan constructers, but I can't see it making any significant inroads into Fiat's dominance of the FWD coachbuilt motorhome market as the Ford chassis and powerplant choices are so limited.

Guest pelmetman

If the new Tranny is any good and is free from the kinda "Issues" that Fiat have suffered and appear to continue to suffer from....... then it'll do well ;-)..........

Although the last Tranny is not without its own issues :-S..................

Murvi have already taken orders for the new Transit and provisional price lists are available including a four wheeldrive for the more adventurous. All being well there will be a demonstrator at the NEC.

Their thinking is that there is a market for those who will never buy a Fiat or its derivatives and it will help them at times such as now when the supply of Fiats has dried up pending the release of their new model. To be able to offer an alternative base vehicle at such times will stop delays in production.

Depends on just how far you really want to downsize!

Unfortunately post Mk5 Transit, Ford built their following range of Transits extremely small and went from LWB to MWB.

As a comparison my Duetto is on a Mk5 Transit with a total length of 5560mm.....just over 18ft.

The new 2014 Transit "Jumbo" (rather inappropriately named!) comes in at 4122mm.....13.5ft.....five feet shorter than a Mk5!!!

Quite where Ford are going with this range of Transit i have absolutely no idea. As for PVC.....if you want tiny, then this is the van for you.

Bulletguy - 2014-05-11 1:50 PM

Unfortunately post Mk5 Transit, Ford built their following range of Transits extremely small and went from LWB to MWB.

As a comparison my Duetto is on a Mk5 Transit with a total length of 5560mm.....just over 18ft.

The new 2014 Transit "Jumbo" (rather inappropriately named!) comes in at 4122mm.....13.5ft.....five feet shorter than a Mk5!!!

Quite where Ford are going with this range of Transit i have absolutely no idea. As for PVC.....if you want tiny, then this is the van for you.

I think you are mixing up specs somewhere along the line, either you have confused the 'Transit' with 'Transit Connect', or you have confused the OAL with load length.

It's all matter of opinion but I looked the the new transit at local dealer to purchase as a work van and I thought it look ugly, inside cab was really good .

As with most uk companies was promised a quote within two days that was 3 weeks ago :'(

Just so there is no confusing on my post I am not talking about the transit connect which I do like :-D

colin - 2014-05-11 3:20 PM

I think you are mixing up specs somewhere along the line, either you have confused the 'Transit' with 'Transit Connect', or you have confused the OAL with load length.

Link here for the Ford Transit "Jumbo" size; http://www.ford.co.uk/CommercialVehicles/Transit/Bodystyles-and-capacity

If the 'new' funny shape grille model, the "Jumbo" model is worse still........at a miserly 4107mm (13.5ft)

http://www.fordtransitdirect.co.uk/newsales/newvans/transit/jumbo.aspx

The only body type suitable for a decent PVC would be the "Jumbo Extended LWB" at 6403mm (21ft).

http://www.kendallcars.com/vehicles/jumbo-transit/

Thewad - 2014-05-11 5:56 PM

It's all matter of opinion but I looked the the new transit at local dealer to purchase as a work van and I thought it look ugly, inside cab was really good .

Not sure exactly what people look for now when buying a van specifically for commercial purpose, but imo Ford 'lost the plot' with later model Transit design. 'Prettyness' certainly would not be important to me and probably wouldn't even be on my list at all as i've often found 'prettyness' equates to impratical.

Prior to the Mk5 i had an old Mk3/4 and the dashboard layout on that was brilliant. Huge great flat slab with two flat tea trays shelves on the top plus big 'trough' halfway down which held pens, pencils and various other bits of junk......all within easy reach of the driver. Plus nothing went sliding off on to the floor each time you turned a corner! Oh.....and a real fag bin! Not some poncy little tray!

All that disappeared with the Mk5 and Ford installed a fancy curved 'designer' dash so you couldn't stick anything on the top at all. The big 'trough' was reduced in size and just about copes with two pens....which often fall out. The only useful part of the dash is a big deep 'bin'......right over the other side in front of the passenger. Great if the driver always drives with a mate, but useless if he drives alone which 99% do, just as i do.

Bulletguy - 2014-05-11 7:35 PM

Link here for the Ford Transit "Jumbo" size; http://www.ford.co.uk/CommercialVehicles/Transit/Bodystyles-and-capacity

If the 'new' funny shape grille model, the "Jumbo" model is worse still........at a miserly 4107mm (13.5ft)

The only body type suitable for a decent PVC would be the "Jumbo Extended LWB" at 6403mm (21ft).

Just as I thought, you have confused the overall length with the load length. A jumbo tranny is about 6.5m long

In 1999, when Auto-Sleepers was building their "Duetto" panel-van conversion (PVC) on a RWD Transit Mk 5 chassis, the longest wheelbase Ford offered was 3.50m.

The Transit Mk 6 was introduced in 2000 and was a brand-new design, not a facelift. Transit Mk 6 panel-vans had three possible wheelbases - SWB=2.93m, MWB=3.30m or LWB=3.75m.

Auto-Sleepers continued to build Duetto on the Mk 6, but (presumably to keep the vehicle's overall length down) chose to use the MWB chassis. This decision resulted in alterations to the Duetto's interior layout and existing owners of Duettos complained about the 'new' model being inferior to the Mk-5-based one regarding interior space and versatility. But this had nothing to do with Ford as a longer wheebase Transit Mk 6 panel-van was available (in FWD and RWD) and Continental converters (eg. La Strada) chose to build FWD PVCs on the LWB Mk 6 base.

Transit Mk 6 panel-vans came in four lengths - 4.83m, 5.20m, 5.65m and 6.37m. The last version was referred to by Ford as "Extended Length JUMBO" and was only available in RWD. Its interior 'loadspace length' was 4107mm.

Transit Mk 7 was introduced in August 2006. It was an extensive facelift that included engine changes and a dashboard-mounted gearlever, but the dimensions remained much the same.

The latest 2014 Transit Mk 8 standardises (in Europe) on versions of the 2.2litre powerplant fitted to the Mk 7, but is otherwise a brand-new design. Panel-van width is 2059mm and lengths are 5.53m, 5.98m and a 'super Jumbo' at 6.70m. The last model is available in RWD twinned-rear-wheel format with a maximum authorised overall weight of 4700kg, and its interior load length is 4217mm.

Full information on the Transit Mk 8 (UK variant) can be found here

http://www.gates.co.uk/upload/files/NewCVAllNewTransitVan.pdf

(One interesting detail is that "Trend" versions of the Transit Mk 8 have projector-style headlights. The dipped-beam of this type of light-unit can often be altered by a lever to produce a pattern suitable for 'left-hand traffic' or 'right-hand traffic' driving. If that's so with Transit, fiddling about with 'beam benders' or 'masks' would no longer be necessary and headlamps would not need replacing on imported LHD motorhomes.)

I suspect that at least some of the reason why the new Transit looks the way it does is because the USA version has to cram large-capacity V6-petrol or 5-cylinder diesel powerplants beneath the bonnet.

This link http://tinyurl.com/k6jaf4o shows a Challenger model based on the Mk 8 and the comments are generally positive, even those regarding the frontal 'look'.

....for anyone who wants detailed "official" information on the Mk 8 Transit, the owners manual is readily downloadable from the usual Ford site, at:

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/pubs/content/~WOE548/~MGB~LEN/pdf/EN_GB14548og1e.pdf

and has all the dimensions (including those of the various wheelbase motorhome chassis), though it is silent on the adjustment of the "projector" headlights, mentioned by Derek, so I suspect (in common with my experience of recent Ford cars) that these are not easily adjusted for Continental running.

colin - 2014-05-11 8:18 PM

Bulletguy - 2014-05-11 7:35 PM

Just as I thought, you have confused the overall length with the load length. A jumbo tranny is about 6.5m long.

No i haven't. Obviously you didn't read through the links i put on to show where i took my figures from.

Only the Jumbo Extended LWB has an overall length of 6.5.mtrs (6403mm if we are going to be picky), which as i said (imo) making it the only suitable model for a PVC.

All other variants are smaller.

Derek Uzzell - 2014-05-12 8:27 AM

In 1999, when Auto-Sleepers was building their "Duetto" panel-van conversion (PVC) on a RWD Transit Mk 5 chassis, the longest wheelbase Ford offered was 3.50m.

The Mk5 Transit spec is listed as follows;

Ford Owners Manual

Wheelbase 3570mm

Overall Length with step and towball (as mine is) 5482mm

AutoSleepers Manual

Wheelbase 3570mm

Overall length 5560mm

Though mine was registered May 2000 it is a Mk5 with the above 'spec'. It was converted by A/S the same year prior to registration.

emwatley - 2014-05-12 8:01 PM

My grandad is tired if towing and is thinking about a small motorhome. would you recommend a transit?

For parts availability they cannot be matched.....particularly in Europe. For example, break down in some remote obscure corner of Eastern Europe and you will get it repaired even if requiring replacement parts.

Germany now hold the largest supply of Ford parts. I recently ordered a pair of new mudflaps for my van. I wanted Ford original as they are a better quality than 'after market' brands. My local Ford Main Agent had to import them from Ford in Germany.

Interestingly, Poland is not far behind either with masses of Ford parts available.

Archived