Solar Panel set-up 2

mikejkay

After reading this and the tens of thousands of pounds our motorhome cost I am so glad that I just got solar solutions to come and fit mine.

Or on the other hand I could have saved a £80 and tried to do it myself ?

Good DIY skills and a bit common sense is all you need to make brackets and fit solar panels.

Pop rivets are easily removed to take a panel off, but once on mine will not be removed unless damaged as I can think of no other reason why they should come off

But in fairness, it's not just about saving a few quid, if someone has got the ability( and the desire!) to do it themselves, then why not?..

...and, what ever task it may be,employing "professionals" doesn't always guarantee a professional job... ;-)

(..most on here have seen/experienced botch ups carried out by "professionals" in MH workshops...).

Oops..sorry, crossed posts..I was responding to mildi... :$ )

Mildi - you have not accounted for the intangible benefits of the knowledge gained about yuor own particular mh and, in particular, the solar panel system.

Professional installation? I have read a post which alleges that the "professional£ installers drilled a hole in the roof for the cables and then "sealed the hole" with mastic. Would you be happy with that?

Lenny - thanks for the help I have just ordered some M3 alloy riv nuts and will try the two spanner trick. I hope that the tops of the rive nuts do not project too much beyond the frame otherwise a bit of grinding will be required

When I fitted both my solar Panels I used the same type of fixing brackets your using only I fitted the brackets to the solar panel first with 6mm stainless steel bolts with stainless steel nylock nuts bought from bolt store eBay. I then pre marked the position for the Brackets on the top of my motorhome, applied the Sikaflex 512 and sat the solar panel firmly down in the pre marked position, left for 48hrs , same with the roof connection box..

Corky - that's what I originally intended to do but when I lifted the panel with the brakets fitted I realised that the size and weight meant that I would not have enough control over positioning it. In the absence of another pair of hands slow and steady seemed to be the best option

mikejkay - 2014-05-14 12:57 PM

Mildi - you have not accounted for the intangible benefits of the knowledge gained about yuor own particular mh and, in particular, the solar panel system.

Professional installation? I have read a post which alleges that the "professional£ installers drilled a hole in the roof for the cables and then "sealed the hole" with mastic. Would you be happy with that?

Lots of things I am happy to do e.g. Gaslow but for me the solar panel was best left to someone who knows what they are doing.

I have had my experience of the professionals and the main dealers like Webbs where mine came from and to be fair I wouldn't even let them clean the mud of my tyres they were so bad.

If it is out of my comfort zone and it is not a ridiculous price being charged, I don't mind paying but only for the few companies that I have used and had good service.

Not a criticism if you can do it yourself.

Just took my waste tank to bits ant cleared all the crap out and but it all back, not a nice job as had half a tank full in there but you right, next time I have a problem with it I will know what to do. (explain to the wife how to do it as it was her bloody hair clogging it up!)......she doesn't read this.

Good luck with the solar panel, one of the best thing I had put on mine.

Mark.

Toaday was the turn of the cable gland. I decided, being a belt and braces person, to feed the cables through a standard M20 cable gland as a second line of defence against water ingress and because I didn't want to leave the edge of the fibreglass exposed. I couldn't get the nut on the inside but I widened the hole slightly so that the fitting cut its own thread. Liberally smeared with Sikaflex. Main gland then installed on top as per the brackets.

Cables go behind a false wall in the top locker then into the duct behind the TV compartment and then down to the regulator. I intend to get some "wood finish" cable duct to cover the cables down to the regulator. The cables to the batteries I intend to run inside the loose faux chamois leather which covers the steel set belt support. This is velcro'd so a small slit in the top and job's done. Not sure what to do about the cables beteen the regulator and the post. There will be six of then and it looks like they will have to be boxed in. Knowing my skill at carpentry it may turn out better just to leave them exposed.

Discovered a mistake while running the cables. The in-line fuse holders that I bought are far too small for 4mm cable so new ones will have to be obtained. All very well hiding cables behind false bulkheads etc but this means that they have to be brought out in order to fit the fuse holders in accessible positions.

Solar8.jpg.e50a249609f801268fb6312e902464af.jpg

Solar7.jpg.8e71d14776b2c27048f85e032bda2899.jpg

Splar6.jpg.d1548d17ef4fb596f6f6b98578c6c6b9.jpg

Minor disaster today. I crimped on the MC4 connectors and hooked up a battery to the regulator but no power! Output from the panel is OK. Finally isolated the problem to one of the new MC4 connectors. If I push the metal part of the connecter into its' opposite number everything is fine but if I put the metal part into the plastic housing there is no connection. On close examination it appears that the metal part is not far enough forward in the casing and so the connection is not being made. I think that words with my supplier are called for.

Just finished fitting my 2 x 100 watt panels

Edit:

Cables follow existing cable routes so not visible inside van. The Elecktroblock is under the drivers seat I moved it back a couple of inches and was able to mount the Schaudt solar regulator in front of it.

P1080327.jpg.1add8b78fc9d649858a9fcfb84188fbb.jpg

Thanks.

What else would you expect? :D :D

Around lunchtime I was getting 9.8 amps. Also checked each panel separately both giving identical output of 4.9 amps.

With your MC4 connectors, you may not have assembled them correctly, if the pin is not located in the correct part of the moulding it will push back when plugged into the socket.

JudgeMental - 2014-05-19 7:17 AM

Lenny, what do they weigh each...what is your new van 3500kg or more.

8kg each.

Yes the new van is 3500, mass in running order is 2920kg that is given with driver at 75kg, 100% fuel, 20Lt water & one 11kg aluminium gas bottle.

The extras we had added another 211 kg, just before we got home checked it on a weighbridge, 3270 kg with both of us on board, approx 60% fuel, 60-70 Lt water, 2 x 26Lt (13kg) full Aluminium gas cylinders and about 25 kg of other bits.

Once loaded up fully for a trip hope to have at least 100 kg spare, hope so as I plan on putting a couple of 20 Lt water containers in the garage as it's only got a tiddly 100 Lt water tank.

Didn't bother to get an awning on this van seems a lot of dosh for something that you can only use for 10 mins at a time before it tries to take off.

Archived