Spain via Andorra

Spadge

Hi guys (& Ladies of course ) We are considering entering Spain from France via Andorra, what are the roads like ? Any tips would be appreciated ? Also have a dog on board, fully documented of course. Not likely to be any problems on that front are there? Many thanks in anticipation.

....I'd recommend a quick check of your insurance documents.

Andorra is not in the EU, and I had at least one policy in the past that didn't (explicitly) cover it by naming it as one of the additional countries in which the insurance applied (unlike Switzerland, Norway, etc.).

I can't remember which company it was, and my latest policies have explicitly named it, but it is worth a check.

It's a long time since I visited Andorra, but I wasn't impressed with much of it (although the mountains at the head of the side road up the Vall d'Ordino were OK (ish!).

Guest pelmetman
Camped there in late 70's...........and drove through again about six years ago..............can't say I'd make the effort again, as it didn't match up to my memories of my first trip, seems more like a glorified shopping Mall now days :-S

We often go via Andorra on our way to France and love it, if you are not put off by hair pin bends and tight roads try a trip up the Carretera d´Arcalis Ordino to the Ski area car park,you could wild camp here .In the the summer one of the lifts is usually working and well worth a trip to the top, beautiful views and great walks fortunatley we had fantastic weather on our trip

There are campsites (the one in Andorra la Vella is expensive) but if you want Aires? Theres one behind the Gare (station) in L,Hospitalet and its possible to overnight in the large carpark in Pas de la Casa its cheaper after 6 oclock from memory there is also a waste dump and fill up in the corner.

And dont forget to fill up with fuel etc , theres a new custom post on the French side and they can be quiet keen. As for the dog there should be no problem if you have the passport.

Don't just drive through theirs lots to see off the main drag.

If you go via Seu D´ Urgell the old town is worth a visit as is the canoeing/kayaking centre from the 1992 Olympics. you can overnight in the large car park just outside the centre.

Brian

Pic is top of the Ski lift I mentioned

IMGP0727.JPG.ab4ee4045bcd9a3e408bcda2cb012bbf.JPG

Many thanks gentlemen, all points mentioned have been noted and we hope to have a good look around instead of just passing through. Big thank you for the insurance check ROBINHOOD had not given that a thought !

Archived