Woolwich Ferry

Guest JudgeMental
its pretty unreliable..always news bulletins saying its closed.. really depends on your route, there is the Rotherhithe tunnel as well. blackwall fine as long as not in rush hour.

I wouldn't use the rotherhythe tunnel, it very narrow with tight turns, the woolwich ferry If running :-D

Is ok except before 0900 and after 1530 when it's very busy, also sometimes only one boat is running so doubles your waiting time, if it's foggy I wouldn't bother just use the blackwall tunnel instead,

What's wrong with the tunnel? Maybe its further but you use extra fuel in built up areas.

The last time I used the ferry it was paddle powered and the Thames was purple. The paddles did a great job. I can still smell it now.

Living nearby, I use the tunnel and then M11 a lot. It's IMHO better than QE2 crossing if you want to get into SE London as it's more direct and avoids M25.

It's a straightforward route - just follow signs for Blackwall and O2 from the M11. Best to avoid rush-hour periods if possible, specially afternoon (4 -6ish) if coming from North. Once through tunnel, it's an easy run to Abbey Wood - either along the river via Woolwich and Plumstead (shorter distance but more urban), or stay on the A2 when you come out of the tunnel and turn off at Danson interchange - Abbey Wood site is signposted.

I'd avoid ferry - route to it is slower and as others have said, it can be very unreliable. It's often down to one ferry only and if the weather's bad, it'll be cancelled.

Yes, I agree with you. I have used these routes many times. What I was considering was avoiding the huge roundabout at the junction at the end of the M11/North Circular (A402?) and start of A12, which I find is a nightmare, lots of lane changes and horn blowings!! and then the Woolwich Ferry showed up on the map and I wondered about its use. Probably still use the tunnel now.

Ta.

Neil B

Guest Peter James

Woolwich ferry may take a little longer, but certainly the most interesting and scenic, so only you can decide if its worth using.

Be aware its inside the emissions zone

Archived