Caravan Club Key card

bobalobs

For the last thirty years we have deposited an International camping carnet with European campsites reception rather than passports.Such carnets were supplied free by the big clubs if you had their travel insurance or booked ferries through them.

The Caravan Club no longer offer such cards but instead have given us a "CampingEurope Key" card.The accompanying paperwork shows it has similar third party insurance to the old camping Carnet system but I wonder how widely it is accepted as an alternative to a passport?

I understand ACSI do a similar card but again how accepted is it?

Yes, looking at the Caravan Club forum they are not replacing the old CCI any more after 2014 but are going with this Camping Key Europe card, which is a private concern based in Gothenburg, Sweden. So what is this all about then ?

Hi

I had to buy one of these last year for use in Scandinavia where CCI not recognised. Worked fine out there but have no evidence about how this will work in the rest of Europe.

Fortunately camping and caravan club still do the CCI for £5.50 so have mine from that source. I know that they work.

I joined C&C club the other year cos they do good age discount and there new wifi deal is great. Worked well for us in our Scotland trip earlier this year.

Peter

Hi bobalobs,

My wife and I use the A.C.S.I. I-D card and it has always been accepted all over France/Italy /Germany etc. In fact we find an awful lot of sites are just checking the card for registration at the site but are not always keeping hold of it.

cheers

derek

Thanks for your replies to date. Looks as though no one has had experience of the Key Card in Europe other than Scandinavia where they in effect have their own card which they are now trying to launch in the rest of Europe. As it is more expensive to buy than the CCI why has the Caravan Club changed?

Will report back if we have trouble using it but may get a CCI card as a backup if there is time.

Archived