so.lar panels and batteries

fesspark

Can anyone advise me please? I have a burstner nexxo 690g,3.500 fiat. I would like to know what size panel I require with only one 90 amp leasure battery and would it pay me to have another 90 amp btty fitted before I have a panel fitted ? Regards Fesspark. R Parker

Thanks for the reply, We have T.V,lap top,and several other small electrical 12 v appliances and would like to have up to a week away without hookup and maybe have up to 5 hrs a day with equiptment running off the battery ? Fesspark

It's not just how you use the equipment, it's also how you use the van. i'm guessing you've had enough experiance to know that your present set up is falling short.

Now if you drive the van every (or most) days for a couple of hours touring and you are running out of power in the evening it points to you not having enough storage, a panel will help esp. in summer when it will still be charging battery after you've parked up, but you might find a second battery is a cheaper option that will work.

But if you want to park up for several days then inevitably the batteries will eventualy run out and in this case a panel (of sufficient size) will recharge them.

We are fairly light users of power, we might be touring and running the engine every day, or we might be on a week end trip and not run engine for two or three days, and usualy once a year on the family holiday we park up for a week with out running engine, in all these cases or 85w panel and single battery is sufficient to supply our needs.

Our use sounds similar to yours but we do also use the heating a fair bit as we like camping up in the mountains even in summer it can be chilly in the morning.

Most cost effective when you need more off grid power is to fit a second battery then consider solar. Our last van had 2 x 80 a/h batteries and an 80 watt solar panel we found that arrangement fine for summer use.

The new van has 2 x 90 a/h batteries and this weekend I have just fitted 2 x 100 watt solar panels hopefully this will extend our season off grid.

Hi Fesspark

Do agree with all the replies. Try two batteries then, if necessary, add the largest solar panel that will fit onto the roof, but don't forget the experts will tell you to have two new leisure batteries as it's important that both batteries match in age, etc. - otherwise one will leach off the other. (So I am told ;-) )

Alan

we have one 100W panel and a single 125Ah battery. That is enough to keep the blown air heating going all night and in summer recharges even without driving.

With the stuff you want to use, I would guess a second battery would be a good investment. And if you don't drive every day, you will need solar to top them up.

we have one 100W panel and a single 125Ah battery. That is enough to keep the blown air heating going all night and in summer recharges even without driving.

With the stuff you want to use, I would guess a second battery would be a good investment. And if you don't drive every day, you will need solar to top them up.

Thankyou all who have replied to my query I think I am going for a 160watt panal as I can get one fitted at a price I can afford, as for the other battery, that might come later but the weight of them will restrict my payload somewhat as I have had my new van reduced from 3850 to 3500 because of my age.once again thanks and I welcome any comments you may have, Fesspark,R Parker

Archived