X250 Tow Bar Can Bus

gocro

Posted on wrong bit,sorry.

When we purchased our 2007 Stardream it had a tow bar which we had the dealer remove as it wouldn't have fitted on the drive otherwise.The electrics socket was retained and bolted to the chassis,I tried it today with a trailer board and found it to be totally dead. the feed for it comes all the way from the cab area so I assume it may have been plugged into the loom and has been disconnected.Is there a standard socket on the loom for this, if so , where is it?

I assume from the topic title that the original tow bar wiring was designed to interact with the vehicles Can Bus system. That is when something is plugged into the socket the vehicles fog lamps will made inoperative and only those on the connected trailer or cycle carrier will operate to prevent dazzle. Also any reversing sensor system will be made inoperative as well. The only company I'm aware of that manufactures such a wiring harness that Fiat have approved is Westfalia. I had this fitted to a previous vehicle and all the connections were made in the rear offside corner behind the light cluster. The Westfalia harness and electronics plugs directly into the Fiat vehicle harness at this point. It may well have been simply unplugged here. As well as the Westfalia harness and electronics a feed is also required directly from the battery which will have a fuse inserted at some point close to the battery. This may also have been removed.

When our trailer socket went dead it was traced to a fuse that connects to the vehicle battery in the cab floor, this fuse supplied the power for the trailer board lights via some gizmo at the back where the rest of the loom connected

• 2 weeks later...

Archived