Advice needed re motorhomes

DaviesRy

We have sold our shop and intend to buy a motorhome and enjoy ourselves.We have had a good look around and like the swift sundance 590rl.Will it be possible to get a discount for cash and no partex.We intend to buy new.Any help advice would be helpfull.

Hi- you most certainly will be able to get a good discount for cash with no part exchange, and possible some extras fitted aswell at a discounted price. Remember that the model you think you may get will soon be offered on the new Fiat/Pug, so it may pay you to wait till it is available. one other point is , are you new to motorcaravanning and if so ,it may pay you to rent a van for say a week to see if you like the life and also if you rent a design van you are thinking of , so much the better . Good Luck. chas

Thanks Chas Yes we will be new to motorcaraving,years ago we had a caravan before we bought the shop(newsagents) so not a lot time to use it.So we want to catch up on a lot of traveling we feel a MH is better than a C/van also we are a bit long in the tooth

Hi Daviesry, your never too long in the tooth to enjoy motorcaravanning, buts it is an expensive pursuit, so if you can say honestly that you enjoy it with a hired van, then go for it, and choose wisely, try to get the model and layout that suits you both and you will be fine. regards chas

If you go Sevel then wait. The new van has a new gearbox with non of the 5th gear problems associated with earlier models. (Or so it has been said) I understand it is a much better engineered vehicle throughout. You will kick yourself if you saved a few grand now then lusted after the advantages of the new model in a few months. Be patient and shop around. Have a test drive. Hireing one for a week is a very good idea. They want your cash more than you want their van. Be prepared to walk away from the salesman, plenty of outlets sell Swift Motorhomes. Personally I would suggest you broaden your choice to include motorhomes on Mercedes, VW, Renault, Iveco and Ford bases. All equal if not better in some respects to Sevel. Think about servicing and support in foreign parts. Vehicles without cam belts are more attractive. Many of those above today do not have cam belts. Sevel support is not that renown abroard compared with Merc or Renault perhaps. Do some homework. Good luck with the quest Clive

The Swift Group vans of the type you are looking at are very nice indeed. We have a Bessascarr E435 is of the same family group as the Swift. (Ace, Swift and Bessacarr are all made by Swift in the same factory). The 'RL' you refer to is a Rear Lounge model and ours is a rear kitchen. As mentioned above, there are lots of new vans appearing this year to coincide with the new Chassis/Cab from Sevel. (Fiat, Peugeot & Citroen). Couples often plump for low profile vans (no overcab bed) and the brand new range of these are available very soon from Swift Group. Lots of reviews in the media on these and they look very nice indeed! Anyway, enjoy the search! Jimmy

If you are thinking of using it in the winter look at the German and French vans as you will have a better chance of finding one that is "winterised". And not built like a glorified flimsy Caravan like too many British ones.

[QUOTE]peter - 2006-09-11 12:29 AM If you are thinking of using it in the winter look at the German and French vans as you will have a better chance of finding one that is "winterised". And not built like a glorified flimsy Caravan like too many British ones.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely agree, as we are in the process of changing our Bessacarr for a German van, The Bessacarr has great showroom appeal, but the practicalities have dissappointed. No grumbles with the Fiat bit though.

HTH

[QUOTE]robin - 2006-09-11 3:51 PM

[QUOTE]peter - 2006-09-11 12:29 AM If you are thinking of using it in the winter look at the German and French vans as you will have a better chance of finding one that is "winterised". And not built like a glorified flimsy Caravan like too many British ones.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely agree, as we are in the process of changing our Bessacarr for a German van, The Bessacarr has great showroom appeal, but the practicalities have dissappointed. No grumbles with the Fiat bit though.

HTH

[/QUOTE] Bit of a sweeping generalisation there boys! I looked at a great number of vans before making my purchase and found that the Bessacarr not only looks the part, but delivers very well on practicality and build quality. I suppose it depends on what you need from a particular van, and how much you are prepared to pay. I know that many 'Continental' vans are not as well screwed together as the Swift Group vans and some are better. Just like most things, there are good ones and bad ones. You just have to do the legwork, ask lots of questions, and be prepared to weigh up all the pro's and con's of all the individual vans layouts and accept that build quality comes with a price tag.....usually! All good fun though! Jimmy

Advise on which motorhome to buy is pointless, as this comes down to such personal preferences that only you and your wife can decide. Do as Jimmy says and do your homework before buying. As for no part exchange, I would be very disapointed if a substancial discount was not offered and you should really shop around to get the best deal. As you are aware, new base vehicle models are available, but then again you canexpect a further discount if you opt for the old model as most dealers will be looking to move old stock as soon as possible, but again this is your call. Finally, remember you are holding the best hand, so take your time before buying. Howard.

[QUOTE]V6Jim - 2006-09-11 9:25 PM [QUOTE]robin - 2006-09-11 3:51 PM

HTH

[/QUOTE] Bit of a sweeping generalisation there boys! I looked at a great number of vans before making my purchase and found that the Bessacarr not only looks the part, but delivers very well on practicality and build quality. I suppose it depends on what you need from a particular van, and how much you are prepared to pay. I know that many 'Continental' vans are not as well screwed together as the Swift Group vans and some are better. Just like most things, there are good ones and bad ones. You just have to do the legwork, ask lots of questions, and be prepared to weigh up all the pro's and con's of all the individual vans layouts and accept that build quality comes with a price tag.....usually! All good fun though! Jimmy[/QUOTE]

Jimmy, you make good points. One man's poison and all that, and you are dead right about personal preferences and shopping around. I know there are a lot of people that are happy with Swift 'vans. I sincerely hope that our Bessacarr is not typical of the breed - all I can say is that whilst we chose the 'van after careful reaseacrh and reviewing as much write up as I could find, I have been dissillusioned by the practicalities. I have now grave doubts about the build quality and design of my particular model (it is an E735 garage model BTW) compared with the Burstner that we prviously owned. Things like flimsy furnitue (cupboard doors splitting in two); fridge not installed correctly; garage door breaking; 12v system voltage drop; water tank badly designed; inefficient space utilisation; 12v electric systems failing.   

[QUOTE]V6Jim - 2006-09-11 9:25 PM [QUOTE]robin - 2006-09-11 3:51 PM

HTH

[/QUOTE] Bit of a sweeping generalisation there boys! I looked at a great number of vans before making my purchase and found that the Bessacarr not only looks the part, but delivers very well on practicality and build quality. I suppose it depends on what you need from a particular van, and how much you are prepared to pay. I know that many 'Continental' vans are not as well screwed together as the Swift Group vans and some are better. Just like most things, there are good ones and bad ones. You just have to do the legwork, ask lots of questions, and be prepared to weigh up all the pro's and con's of all the individual vans layouts and accept that build quality comes with a price tag.....usually! All good fun though! Jimmy[/QUOTE]

Jimmy, you make good points. One man's poison and all that, and you are dead right about personal preferences and shopping around. I know there are a lot of people that are happy with Swift 'vans. I sincerely hope that our Bessacarr is not typical of the breed - all I can say is that whilst we chose the 'van after careful reaseacrh and reviewing as much write up as I could find, I have been dissillusioned by the practicalities. I have now grave doubts about the build quality and design of my particular model (it is an E735 garage model BTW) compared with the Burstner that we prviously owned. Things like flimsy furnitue (cupboard doors splitting in two); fridge not installed correctly; garage door breaking; 12v system voltage drop; water tank badly designed; inefficient space utilisation; 12v electric systems failing.   

True what you say! Funnily enough, a friend of ours just bought a brand new A747 Burstner on a 2.8 Ducato chassis. Central heating faulty. 12v systems wonky. Inverter in big meltdown! Overhead Panels poorly fitted....da dee da.... Bit of a lottery, isn't it? Jimmy

Who has a problem with My bessie..?? Nothing wrong with my Bessie.............. No occassional table water get's in the roof flood's the clothes in the wardrobe No shower door off the rail broken Fridge off it's hinge drop's to the floor Freezing bloody cold (warm in bed though) Two heki's one with the added bonus of one of those GAS HOLES ICE ICE One Heki no seal's No shower blind Broken since bought NEW in January 06 I's not got problem with bessie I wouldn't swop the lay out for the world. I's got a problem parking next to miserable git's though Not with BESSIE (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol)

I had Swift Sundance 590RL from Brownhills which was their own version (a "Suntor") which included some additional extras not included on the standard Sundance. I had two very good years out of it and only got rid of it due to a change in my personal circumstances

Hi Daviesry I agree with the previous comments regarding advice as to models, as it is imperative that you find a layout which is suitable for your needs, before spending a LOT OF MONEY! With regard to waiting for the new models, it should be considered that the new improved base vehicles will result in price increases to the converters, with consequent motorhome price rises. If you are not too fashion conscious it will be possible to obtain substantial discounts on current vehicle stocks, and these discounts could be even greater once the new models are available. The new Fiat/Peugeot/Citreon are due for release next month. The Transit and VW are available now. Press releases in the motorhome magazines are already showing new models on these new vehicles. Have a good look round and haggle hard! Good luck, Ken

Archived