New to forum / Calais to Biarritz

iwanttotravel

Hi To all,

I am new to this forum and just got a motorhome last week. I would like to go from Calais to Biarritz next week without the use of toll roads and a few nights in aires (one within an hour of Calais as arriving late at night) any advice would be much appreciated.

All sorts of routes, but most go via Rouen - I think if you search on Rouen you'll find detailed instructions on how to avoid the worst delays there, but in essence you head for Vernon signs in Rouen but once out of city follow the route to Pont de l'Arche. From there good roads to Chartres, Tours, Poitiers, Angouleme, all non toll - but worth using short stretches of toll road to get round Poitiers & Tours in my view. We tried an alternative route vis Le Mans and Loudun then Poitiers this time, which was fine.

South of that, we tend to go via either Bergerac or Ste Foy La Grande to get to Mont de Marsan then Bayonne.

As for aires near Calais, maybe Wissant, or Montreuil?

Hi

We arrived at Calais about 3am on our current trip and spent the night on the Aire at Wissant...have a look at the blog (just put Wissant in the search box) if you want to see a map of aire and pictures...we found this a very good stop over.

Peter

peter21 - 2014-05-15 8:32 AMHiWe arrived at Calais about 3am on our current trip and spent the night on the Aire at Wissant...have a look at the blog (just put Wissant in the search box) if you want to see a map of aire and pictures...we found this a very good stop over.Peter

I hope when you stopped at Wissant they had cleaned up the service point, when we were there last September people had been dumping their toilet cassettes on the drive over drain , and because there is no water point you can imagine the mess and smell !!! Wissant itself is a nice small town / village , but its a shame the aire is not better maintained. 

Don't avoid all toll sections as a matter of principle or meanness because there are some places where a short toll hop saves you a lot of hassle.

For example it pays to continue one junction past the first toll booths going South on the A16 from Calais to get past the congested roads near Boulogne and then get on to the free D901 - it costs less than 2€ and will save you an hour.

Likewise as you are leaving Rouen on the A13, pay for a short section of A154 to get to the N154 because it saves a lot of time and hassle and again it's only a short hop - costs about 3€.

If you simply set your satnav to avoid toll roads you will miss these opportunities.

The N Road from Bordeaux to Biaritz is being upgraded to an A toll road the whole way and there isn't going to be an alternative. Either take a big detour or pay up!

There are some free A Roads, notably the A75 South of Clermond Ferrand - apart from the Millau Bridge section (10€) where you should exit the motorway anyway to get a much better view of the bridge by driving through Millau. The detour will cost you an hour but its worth it.

Enjoy!

The N Road from Bordeaux to Biaritz is being upgraded to an A toll road the whole way and there isn't going to be an alternative. Either take a big detour or pay up!

Not too expensive. Paid in sections of €5.30, €5.30 and €2.50?? and well worth it. This was for a class 2 motorhome.

Guest pelmetman
sshortcircuit - 2014-05-16 7:37 AM

Not too expensive. Paid in sections of €5.30, €5.30 and €2.50?? and well worth it. This was for a class 2 motorhome.

Unless you take the road to Pisos :D.................Just follow the French campers ;-).............

pelmetman - 2014-05-16 8:41 AM

Unless you take the road to Pisos :D.................Just follow the French campers ;-).............

Yes. Started on the road to Pissos and decided that although I had plenty time this was not as good as some of the A roads so headed back to motorway which at that time was free.

Guest pelmetman
sshortcircuit - 2014-05-16 9:12 AM

pelmetman - 2014-05-16 8:41 AM

Yes. Started on the road to Pissos and decided that although I had plenty time this was not as good as some of the A roads so headed back to motorway which at that time was free.

And still is free if you take the dog leg into Pissos and bypass the toll booths ;-)..............

Guest JudgeMental
Is Biarritz the destination, as I have to ask why....most of us use it as an overnight on route to Spain....

Guest Had Enough
iwanttotravel - 2014-05-16 3:41 PM

Hi,

Yes it was to be the destination, as we haven't been to this part of France, but to be honest slowly changing our minds and think we going to the Med instead. Only got 8 days so thinking it would be better to go somewhere we know!

This is a nice area of France, St. Jean de Luz is lovely as is most of the Basque Country in the Pyrenees.

It's a lot further to the Med and you'll miss a delightful region. Open your mind a little and explore somewhere new!

Guest Had Enough
iwanttotravel - 2014-05-16 4:08 PM

Hi,

I agree with you totally, BUT, I have a daughter who has a week off school and wants sun and sea!!!

We will no doubt go to lots of places we haven't seen when we have a bit more time.

Then she would love St. Jean de Luz, a superb and classy seaside town. This site is right on the beach.

http://www.camping-erromardie.com/

And you'd get an extra couple of days holiday as you're not travelling to the Med.

sshortcircuit - 2014-05-16 4:47 PM

Totally agree with Frank???? Plenty of nice sites in this area. It will take a full day to get to the med which to be fair will be warmer and sunnier but the time we spent at Saint Jean was good.

a day you must shift, it,s 700 miles from calais :D

agree erromardie,nice walk into st jean, also look at the vendee, has a micro climate, also the bay of arcachon, you could try checking the weather just before you go and follow the sun

sshortcircuit - 2014-05-16 9:04 PM

Hmm,yes, sorry. I actually meant from Saint Jean as 700 miles in a day is too much for me.

no probs,2yrs ago we came back from leucate in a day and a half, never again felt like we needed another holiday :-(

Guest pelmetman

The beaches of Biarritz did suffer somewhat from this winters storms.........although having spent the last 4 New Years there................dont know why :-S.............but it just fitted in with our social calender :D.......

Have to say the place is interesting for window shopping..............Bright Green Corduroy trousers £450 8-) .....................

1-P1000874.JPG.e0e0667cde869950ab3e75ef2d0f2944.JPG

1-P1000882.JPG.9e13cbbab49eb2b12702cd6bd1201081.JPG

1-P1000883.JPG.81eb672ce5fad28b570614ef1e5d7363.JPG

kelly58 - 2014-05-15 12:59 PM
peter21 - 2014-05-15 8:32 AMHiWe arrived at Calais about 3am on our current trip and spent the night on the Aire at Wissant...have a look at the blog (just put Wissant in the search box) if you want to see a map of aire and pictures...we found this a very good stop over.Peter

I hope when you stopped at Wissant they had cleaned up the service point, when we were there last September people had been dumping their toilet cassettes on the drive over drain , and because there is no water point you can imagine the mess and smell !!! Wissant itself is a nice small town / village , but its a shame the aire is not better maintained. 

It was fine when we were there ....no smell or mess. Service point OK.

Guest JudgeMental
iwanttotravel - 2014-05-16 4:08 PM

Hi,

I agree with you totally, BUT, I have a daughter who has a week off school and wants sun and sea!!!

We will no doubt go to lots of places we haven't seen when we have a bit more time.

This sounds plain daft to me, better of flying.....its a 2 day drive and the med another overnight still, so you will be there for 3 days? then there is the cost. You would need a holiday when you get back to get over it. Southern Brittany with great beaches is nearer, or the Vendee

Different strokes for different folks! I wouldn't dream of flying anywhere in Europe, everywhere to close. The holiday for all of us starts when we leave in a motorhome. The cost is miniscule compared to flying and hotels. School holidays dictate the time we can have away at the moment.

If we didn't enjoy it or the driving we would have stuck to flying holidays exclusively, bought the motorhome as a cheap alternative for short breaks.

Archived