On the horns of a moral dilemma..........

Guest pelmetman

Guest pelmetman

As some will recall my old man passed over to the great barber shop in the sky earlier this year :-(..........................

So had to clear out his place in Spain prior to handing back a financial burden to the bank, as he took equity release prior to the crash >:-)...................

Well clearing out his house we siblings took what we thought we wanted ;-)...............me.... I went straight for the essentials :D.......................a lid for our slow cooker as my parents had the same one as us and we'd broke ours, and a full set of copper bottomed Swan pans which must be 40 years old and still perfect, I also had a few other bits just for memory sake :-| ..........

Anyway, once everyone had sorted out what they wanted..................no one wanted the vibrator :D.............and the whiskey he left for us to drink that was apparently worth 500 quid has yet to sell *-).................

Sue asked if anyone wanted the picture?....................what picture we asked :-S.............Oh that one *-)....................well it'd hung in my Dads shop for 30 years at least..........my sister said to Sue you can have it as "the frame is worth more then the picture"..........

Just had it mounted and reframed and it looks cracking B-)...................and we've googled the artist..........and I sent an email to our local auction room.................who would like to see it in the flesh as the artist makes good prices apparenly :D .................Now I know we're not talking big money, as its only a pastel and not one of his nudes which fetch the better prices................but?

As it was likely to end up in the skip *-).....................

But we like original art and I do have a modest collection of original art work :-S

So should we sell and share?...............

:-S

Guest pelmetman
LordThornber - 2014-05-19 8:11 PM

Will whatever it realises at auction keep you awake Dave, whether you share of not?

See what it's worth first, then grip the horns.

Martyn

Good point Martyn ;-) ...................as at best some of my pictures are worth the price of a cheap telly or two :D.........so not really worth a visit from the local ner do wells :D.............

Sell and share would be my view if its worth loads if not sell and have a few beers and a fishnchip supper,you may recall my dad went to the pub in the sky?(or lower) over xmas in Benidorm he left me bugger all that I'm aware of but as my thieving half-brother and his missus cleared his flat the day of the funeral,which they didnt even go to,i guess no one will ever know what he had.I think he p*ssed it all away >:-)

Sell and share would be my view if its worth loads if not sell and have a few beers and a fishnchip supper,you may recall my dad went to the pub in the sky?(or lower) over xmas in Benidorm he left me bugger all that I'm aware of but as my thieving half-brother and his missus cleared his flat the day of the funeral,which they didnt even go to,i guess no one will ever know what he had.I think he p*ssed it all away >:-)

Just had it mounted and reframed and it looks cracking B-)...................and we've googled the artist..........and I sent an email to our local auction room.................who would like to see it in the flesh as the artist makes good prices apparenly :D .................Now I know we're not talking big money, as its only a pastel and not one of his nudes which fetch the better prices................but?

As it was likely to end up in the skip *-).....................

But we like original art and I do have a modest collection of original art work :-S

So should we sell and share?...............

:-S

If you like it why sell it? Add it to your modest collection and forget about what it's worth - it doesn't matter two hoots. It was your Dad's & is an heirloom.

Unless it is a real dog of a picture I agree with Jeremy. I still have my Fathers woodworking tools, and his tool box. No way could I get rid.

I do not use the tools much as modern ones tend to do the job better.

So I would be tempted to say keep it Dave - unless it really is an eyesore - and it seems from what you say it is certainly not that and is by a reasonable artist.

laimeduck - 2014-05-20 11:05 PM
Just had it mounted and reframed and it looks cracking B-)...................and we've googled the artist..........and I sent an email to our local auction room.................who would like to see it in the flesh as the artist makes good prices apparenly :D .................Now I know we're not talking big money, as its only a pastel and not one of his nudes which fetch the better prices................but?As it was likely to end up in the skip *-).....................But we like original art and I do have a modest collection of original art work :-SSo should we sell and share?............... :-S
If you like it why sell it? Add it to your modest collection and forget about what it's worth - it doesn't matter two hoots. It was your Dad's & is an heirloom.

Very true......if the £££'s are not an overwhelming consideration stick it on the wall.  If you sell it it might be in years to come you'll wish you hadn't.........memories are worth much more than £notes (unless you're skint   :-) ......)

Guest pelmetman
RogerC - 2014-05-21 12:03 PM
laimeduck - 2014-05-20 11:05 PM
Just had it mounted and reframed and it looks cracking B-)...................and we've googled the artist..........and I sent an email to our local auction room.................who would like to see it in the flesh as the artist makes good prices apparenly :D .................Now I know we're not talking big money, as its only a pastel and not one of his nudes which fetch the better prices................but?As it was likely to end up in the skip *-).....................But we like original art and I do have a modest collection of original art work :-SSo should we sell and share?............... :-S

Very true......if the £££'s are not an overwhelming consideration stick it on the wall.  If you sell it it might be in years to come you'll wish you hadn't.........memories are worth much more than £notes (unless you're skint   :-) ......)

That's my thinking ;-)..............but since er in doors googled the artist......and although finding current prices are curiously vague, which I assume is partly due to the art market being quite trend led :-S...........but as the only price we found so far was between 150euro's.......... $17000 8-)...............although I suspect expensive one was for one of his nudes in oil...............I wonder how much a picture of me naked in a bath of Castrol GTX would fetch? :D................Plus if you add into the mix, our old man sold everything of real value prior to popping his clogs, leaving at best 20k to be shared between his 4 sprogs................so if we have inadvertently ended up with something of serious value................then perhaps you can see my quandary? :-S.............Anyway we're getting it valued on Friday...................fingers crossed its only worth a few hundred, as now I've had a chance to look at it properly.............. it is a work of art B-)...................

1-004.JPG.0bce38de0f1e18ca76c7819970aeeb0d.JPG

Guest pelmetman
nowtelse2do - 2014-05-21 6:46 PM
RogerC - 2014-05-21 12:03 PM (unless you're skint   :-) ......)

Old tight ar*e.......SKINT :D Best bloody laugh I've had this week. :D :D :D :D :D On the floor Dave.
How could you say such a thing 8-)..................me tight *-)................amateurs are tight :D...............I prefer tightwad ;-)...............Just had a very nice BBQ on our new to us freebie Weber barbie B-)...................being tight is old hat ;-)..........................Sponging or recycling is the new art form ;-)..............although sponging of the state doesn't count :-| ...............

Guest pelmetman
Symbol Owner - 2014-05-21 7:56 PM

That's really quite fine, Dave, if a little 'kitsch' in my humble opinion.

Who's the artist and what are his dates?

Cheers,

Colin.

You mean you don't recognise the hand of Herman, Colin? 8-)................

Well join the club (lol)..............family legend.... ie.... via my sister.... said it was given to the old man by the artist.......... well considering as by then he was working in Suffolk, and primarily in Ladies hairstyling.......

But it appears she was wrong...............and the picture may well be worth more than the frame :D..................

The artist is Herman Fenner-Behmer 1866-1913 so its somewhat unlikely that my sister is correct (lol) (lol) (lol)..............

My own suspicions are it was given to my Dad by an elderly customer as a thank you, as he was much doted on by his customers, and to give him his due, he was recognised by many as a master craftsman for his cutting B-).............even had one customer fly down from Scotland in their private plane on a regular basis 8-).............hence the bottle of Scotch :D.....................quite where the vibrator came from has yet to be established :-S...................perhaps we should have kept it for DNA testing (lol) (lol)..............

Guest pelmetman
nowtelse2do - 2014-05-21 8:30 PM

Symbol Owner - 2014-05-21 7:56 PM

Who's the artist and what are his dates?

Cheers,

Colin.

Pi$$ and Jordan ;-)

Dave

I get the feeling Dave you don't appreciate the finer arts :-S................Have you never fancied something well shaped with padding to hang at your window ???? 8-)...............How about a nice multi function pouffe? :D....................I'll do you a special O&L deal ;-)................

Although you may have to wait awhile................as I'm flat out at the moment *-)...............I'm almost working a 4 day week 8-).................If this is being a failure according to my mate Frank.............I'd hate to be successful :D

Hmmmm............. interesting, Dave.

Are you sure that what you have is a pastel?

Herr Fenner-Behmer is said to have had many of his paintings reproduced in photogravure. You might possibly have one of those, although I hope I'm wrong, even though you won't then have a dilemma, as it would only be worth 'peanuts'.

Colin.

Guest pelmetman
Symbol Owner - 2014-05-21 9:02 PM

Hmmmm............. interesting, Dave.

Are you sure that what you have is a pastel?

Herr fenner-Behmer is said to have had many of his paintings reproduced in photogravure. You might possibly have one of those, although I hope I'm wrong, even though you won't then have a dilemma, as it would only be worth 'peanuts'.

Colin.

If your right Colin.................then I can honestly say.... it'll be a relief B-)............coz I like peanuts :D.......

That's a beautiful study and whatever it's financial worth I would keep it.  Some of his works have sold through Christies so he's not a 'cheapo' artist by any means.

As his works have gone through some of the best auction houses I would make sure the valuer knew exactly what he/she is talking about.

You might consider sending a photo to Christies and ask them.

Guest pelmetman
RogerC - 2014-05-21 9:13 PMThat's a beautiful study and whatever it's financial worth I would keep it.  Some of his works have sold through Christies so he's not a 'cheapo' artist by any means.

As his works have gone through some of the best auction houses I would make sure the valuer knew exactly what he/she is talking about.

You might consider sending a photo to Christies and ask them.

Oh heck :-S.............I'll hang fire drilling holes in the wall paper then :-|...............

Guest pelmetman
nowtelse2do - 2014-05-22 1:28 PM

Hi'ya Pal. ;-) :-D

Your good mate Dave

Update ;-).............It appears its a print and my sister is right the frame is NOW worth more than the picture :D..................

But I'm still in a generous frame of mind Dave ;-).............and have bought you a Yorkshire flag, which I'm sure you'll fly with pride B-)................please pm me your address :->

2143309065_reframedpicture.JPG.94f539dfd540de3f77f6d9c3e5f53da0.JPG

Whilst on honeymoon in 1966 I bought a simple painting from a street artist in Rosas. Later divorced and remarried, my new wife, CG, explained that whilst it was indeed a lovely picture, she didn't want it in her dining room. We gave it to a dear friend who had always admired it, and it adorned her dining room for many years until the house was remodelled, and the painting put in the loft . Scroll on 30 or 40 years, and someone presents a picture just like ours on the Antique Roadshow, bought from a pavement artist in Rosas in the 60s. Oh yes says the expert, well known and collected now, worth thousands.

So, do I tell her " Hey Jude, that painting I gave you years ago turns out to be worth a mint", or do I say nothing and when her daughter clears her house out one day she puts it in the skip.

AGD

Archived