Tour de France Alps

Gravemaurice

Hi,

Does anyone know how easy it is to get back off or move on from a roadside spot on a mountain stage?

I'm just doing a bit of planning for our schedule and not sure how soon we will be able to move on. The roads are limited so I suspect they will be opened up quite quickly but just wondering if anyone knows otherwise.

Thanks.

It all depends which mountain and where it is within the stage. Generally, if the mountain is in the middle of the stage, once the last rider has passed followed by the broom wagon, the roads are usually reopened.

Mountain top finishes are different. If there is no alternate route down the mountain other than back down the road don't be surprised if you are still in a queue of cars at midnight.

The Col du Lautaret would be a top location. We followed the Tour last year and after Alp d'Heuz went there so that I could do the Galibier. It was easily the best wild camp we did in the 3 mths spent in France!

As you climb the approach to the Col from La Grave, the road is wide with lay-by's so you will be able to stop anywhere along this stretch, but the higher you go up the road gives you better views back down the valley(if they're coming from that direction).

At the top of the Col there is a small hotel, 2 cafes, a few stalls and a good public toilet - you can empty your cassette here. Plus a top view all the way up to the Galibier.

As you drive into the Lautaret, to the right there is a short gravel road(20yards or so) onto a gravel parking area which holds about 50 motorhomes. Unless you want to be on the roadside I would recommend this. But the usual advice applies to either locations - get there a couple of days before for the best spot.

As was mentioned by AliB, if you park roadside anywhere along here, you could be away shortly after the race goes thru, but I don't think you would be too long getting off the car park either.

By the way, if your thinking of roadside between the Lautaret and the Galibier, the road is narrower here with less opportunity so get there very early.

Terry

The Col du Lautaret would be a top location. We followed the Tour last year and after Alp d'Heuz went there so that I could do the Galibier. It was easily the best wild camp we did in the 3 mths spent in France!

As you climb the approach to the Col from La Grave, the road is wide with lay-by's so you will be able to stop anywhere along this stretch, but the higher you go up the road gives you better views back down the valley(if they're coming from that direction).

At the top of the Col there is a small hotel, 2 cafes, a few stalls and a good public toilet - you can empty your cassette here. Plus a top view all the way up to the Galibier.

As you drive into the Lautaret, to the right there is a short gravel road(20yards or so) onto a gravel parking area which holds about 50 motorhomes. Unless you want to be on the roadside I would recommend this. But the usual advice applies to either locations - get there a couple of days before for the best spot.

As was mentioned by AliB, if you park roadside anywhere along here, you could be away shortly after the race goes thru, but I don't think you would be too long getting off the car park either.

By the way, if your thinking of roadside between the Lautaret and the Galibier, the road is narrower here with less opportunity so get there very early.

Terry

Archived