Your Favourite French Sites?

Gravemaurice

For our two week trip down to the French Alps and back we will use a mixture of Aires and the occasional site for the facilities and a two night chill out. On the way down we are spending two nights on a recommended site near Masavaux.

The amount of sites is overwhelming however most I trawl through seem to be what we in the UK would call a "holiday park" where people would spend a week or so with pools, entertainment etc. which isn't what we're looking for.

It's our first overseas trip in the van.

Do you have any recommendations for a nice location, great facilities and motorhome friendly which would be good for a two night stop to chill out.

Anywhere between Granville and Calais without going too far south or to the Atlantic coast.

Thanks.

We like the site at Neufchatel en Bray (which also has an excellent aire just next door). There is a good cycle ride nearby.

Have a look at our blog pictures if you want an idea of the area (just put 'neufchâtel en bray',, or 'two hens in a hole' into the search box).

peter21 - 2014-05-22 10:26 AM

We like the site at Neufchatel en Bray (which also has an excellent aire just next door). There is a good cycle ride nearby.

Have a look at our blog pictures if you want an idea of the area (just put 'neufchâtel en bray',, or 'two hens in a hole' into the search box).

Hi Peter,

Really enjoyable blog

thanks

derek

We too love the site (and the town) Neufchatel en Bray and it is the only one that we book prior to crossing the channel; spend a few days just chilling and deciding which direction to travel. 

Peter we have almost identical photos of the passageways in Gordes, lovely town!  The aire on the road leading out of town is the one we use, the one in the town we don't like although it's the one with the service point (filthy and overflowing drain when we visited) and they have the nerve to charge for it, yuck.  We stayed for 2 weeks we loved it so much, on the acsi site just above the town with a lovely walk along green lanes down to town, small bar/reception and a swimming pool with breathtaking views over Gordes and surrounding countryside.  (They also have a pyrenean sheepdog like ours).  Be aware that their access roads are very narrow and winding and the pitches are small with low hanging branches.

derek pringle - 2014-05-22 9:32 AM

hi Gravemaurice,

My suggestion would be to join ACSI or CampingCheque or both. This way you can stay at a variety of site types, basically for not a lot more than some aires or certainly a C.L site in the UK.

good luck

derek

I thought ACSI was for off season stays?

peter21 - 2014-05-22 10:26 AM

Looks a good blog. I'll trawl it for info!

Gravemaurice - 2014-05-23 5:03 PM
derek pringle - 2014-05-22 9:32 AMhi Gravemaurice, My suggestion would be to join ACSI or CampingCheque or both. This way you can stay at a variety of site types, basically for not a lot more than some aires or certainly a C.L site in the UK. good luckderek
I thought ACSI was for off season stays?

ACSI membership is for off-season but, to be fair, you didn't state when you intend to travel did you?

For that region my favourite would Le Forge de St Marie it's a Le Castelles site so not cheap camping cheques or le Castelles membership makes it reasonable. There is a restaurant that has a seating area over the lake for good weather but be careful if ordering the fillet steak it's horse, make sure you order beefsteak I had to stay 2 extra days when I made the error. The pitches are large the welcome is fantastic. It also has an indoor pool not your usual basin size but well designed and fun. It's about 80miles from Calais so a nice run for a first stop. John.

Archived