My Ferry

nowtelse2do

Only two ways out of this that I can see.

1) Sell the ferries.

2) Reopen the Folkestone - Boulogne route.

But no doubt the French will have thought of another Half Dozen ways

Eurotunnel's bid to run a cross-Channel ferry service has been holed beneath the water line by a ruling from the competition regulator.

The Competition and Markets Authority upheld a decision that Eurotunnel should not be allowed to run its MyFerryLink service from Dover. It brushed off Eurotunnel’s assessment that there had been ‘significant changes’ in the cross-Channel ferry market since the initial decision.

The Competition and Markets Authority upheld a decision that Eurotunnel should not be allowed to run its MyFerryLink service from Dover

The Channel Tunnel operator bought three ferries from SeaFrance in 2012 as the company went under, in the hope of branching out into maritime travel. But last year the Competition Commission decided that the deal would give Eurotunnel more than half of the cross-Channel market.

The CMA said it agreed with the assessment that if Eurotunnel continued to fund the loss-making ferry route, other operators would be forced to withdraw. Eurotunnel now has a six-month grace period before its ships will have to stay in port, with the CMA likely to publish an unchanged ‘final decision’ next month.

Eurotunnel said the CMA’s ruling was ‘based upon an erroneous analysis of the significant changes in the cross-Channel ferry market’.

The firm is faced with the prospect of having to sell the ferries having bought them for nearly £53m in 2012.

Dave

Perversely, good news that Eurotunnel have been rumbled in their attempt to corner the cross channel market via Myferry. Although their loadings have increased over the past 2 years, this has been achieved by 'buying' sales; Their fares are regularly £10 - 20 lower than DFDS or P&O. This should be good news for us travellers, but only in the short term if it means that one of the other serious players in the market pulls out. Most passenger and car ferries out of the UK are already of marginal profitability. DFDS are already pulling out of Harwich - Esjberg, and I fear that P&O Hull - Zeebrugge will be next. Old boats on long routes cannot afford the extra costs of modifying engines or using low sulphur fuel under the new rules that the EU has brought in to cut pollution (possibly supported by landlocked countries like Hungary and Luxembourg!).

During the next 6 months no doubt m'learned friends will be earning fat fees in trying to overturn this ruling, but do not be surprised if at the end of the day Myferrylink withdraws services on the excuse that they cannot afford to comply with the new pollution rules. Equally do not be too surprised if on the final day of operation, the French crews scupper both boats at the entrance to Calais harbour!

Speaking of My Ferry, I need a ferry back in August, one way Caen to Portsmouth.

Cutting a long story short, I played about on Ferrysavers website including a fictional My Ferry crossing in November, early hours attached to the Caen sailing.

Price of the Dover crossing?

£12

Martyn

Tell me about it Dave, dropped the van off today for them to sort a couple of bits. They gave me a lift to Preston and then I'd jump on the bus.

£5:90, I nearly fainted, particularly when the sympathetic driver said for another 10p I could go all the way to Burnley, bonkers 8-)

Martyn

LordThornber - 2014-05-21 9:05 PM

Tell me about it Dave, dropped the van off today for them to sort a couple of bits. They gave me a lift to Preston and then I'd jump on the bus.

£5:90, I nearly fainted, particularly when the sympathetic driver said for another 10p I could go all the way to Burnley, bonkers 8-)

Martyn

exactly 10p to Burnley is way overpriced :D :D :D i,m ducking

LordThornber - 2014-05-21 9:05 PM

Martyn

Sounds like a budding salesman, carry on to Burnley for 10p and then get charged £5.90 back to Blackburn with the knowledge that for 10p more you can carry on to Preston :D

I'll stick with my bus pass ;-)

Dave

Archived