PVC Convertion?

Colin Leake

We are seriously thinking of down sizing from our present AutoTrail to a PVC early next year when the new face lifted vans come on stream. Possibly to an Auto Sleeper Warick XL. None of that foreign rubbish for us thanks we like to support UK manufacturers. Was originally thinking of conversions that got rid of the rear doors with a solid rear end. But having talked to a number of users on site they all seem to like having those doors open and I can see the attraction so we've changed our mind about that.

We did fancy the AutoTrail V620 but whilst the idea is good the seem to have got so many things badly wrong. The garage at the back would be a good idea if only they had made it taller by getting rid of the pointless double floor and not,wasted half the available space for a gas locker when they could have had an under slung gas tank. No provision for fitting a microwave never mind providing one. Ones wife was not impressed by that. Then there's the matter that silly impractical fridge! What ever trendy designer specified that should have run the idea past his mummy.

One thinks they should have a good look round at what other manufacturers with more experience in van conversions are doing.

We've had all the positive points and are almost convinced but what I was wondering was if there is anyone out there who has made the change and then regretted it and if so why.

Eyup colin i havent made change yet but my arapaho has gone (sold in january) due to lack of time : however i think it will be a pvc for our next van , so am watching your thread: but we wont be getting a new one just a very cheap one then it wont matter quite so much that its sat on the drive a lot ! But i really loved arapaho so like you dont know if the confines of pvc will be as enjoyable : IH do beautifull vans but are way out of my price range , hope you get lots of feedback pp :) ps i like adria too especially the fixed bed at back (i know you said you dont want foreign but they look well made ) I also like autocruise visions which are coachbuilt but have door at rear so seem compact like a pvc :

Had 2 coachbuilts prior to current PVC. (2.5 years) Wouldn't change back.

Lots of wildcamping and just back from 3 weeks in France. Haven't found any negatives and lots of positive, especially going places I might hesitate to in a coachbuilt.

6.4 M two berth

Interesting perspective Colin on the Autotrail v-line.

I looked very closely at one of these (more than once) and found the higher roof, with sun roof, and the double floor, for services etc, to be very much positives.

I agree that the bed should be higher, to allow more storage underneath, and that the gas tank could be underneath....Tho that could be changed easily post purchase.

The washroom is an improvement on many designs with a really usable shower.

The 620, with the rear bed is the only one we would consider, i could even live with the fridge....

Colin Leake - 2014-05-23 10:49 PM

...We've had all the positive points and are almost convinced but what I was wondering was if there is anyone out there who has made the change and then regretted it and if so why.

rupert123 went from coachbuilt to PVC and soon regretted the decision.

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Life-with-a-panel-van/28923/

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Decsion-made/29147/

I've toyed with the idea tentatively, but rejected it for the following reasons:

- Any potentially suitable PVC would be much the same length (above 6m and below 6.5m) and height as the size of coachbuilt design I'd be looking for, so 'downsizing' would not really be a factor

- Opening rear doors or a sliding side-door have no attraction - for me they'd be negatives

- I dislike a PVC's interior narrowness and am not concerned about a coachbuilt's extra width

- I'd like a better, more easily accessible bed than my present Hobby's

- I want a 'proper' shower compartment

- I don't want to lose too much of the Hobby's massive interior storage capacity and I'd like a reasonably large 'garage'

None of that foreign rubbish for us thanks we like to support UK manufacturers.

The only van built in the UK is a SWB lowtop Vivaro/Trafic, unless your talking about the bit of lining and few cushions that are fitted. ;-)

Looked at the V line, was an interesting 'copy' of IH type rear if you don't want the back open. Our van has a large rear garage, we would have prefered it to be smaller to give more living space.

Derek Uzzell - 2014-05-24 8:30 AM

...We've had all the positive points and are almost convinced but what I was wondering was if there is anyone out there who has made the change and then regretted it and if so why.

rupert123 went from coachbuilt to PVC and soon regretted the decision.

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Life-with-a-panel-van/28923/

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Decsion-made/29147/

I've toyed with the idea tentatively, but rejected it for the following reasons:

- Any potentially suitable PVC would be much the same length (above 6m and below 6.5m) and height as the size of coachbuilt design I'd be looking for, so 'downsizing' would not really be a factor

- Opening rear doors or a sliding side-door have no attraction - for me they'd be negatives

- I dislike a PVC's interior narrowness and am not concerned about a coachbuilt's extra width

- I'd like a better, more easily accessible bed than my present Hobby's

- I want a 'proper' shower compartment

- I don't want to lose too much of the Hobby's massive interior storage capacity and I'd like a reasonably large 'garage'

Derek, i know youve been looking at the Rapido 640 but, tho a lot more expensive, have you seen the Carthago compactline 138? 6.4m long, 2.2 m wide, double floors etc....

http://www.southdownsmotorhomecentre.co.uk/new-motorhomes-for-sale/new-carthago-motorhomes-for-sale/new-2014-carthago-c-compactline-i-138-fiat-150-automatic-motorhome-n2994.html

bolero boy - 2014-05-24 9:16 AM

Derek, i know youve been looking at the Rapido 640 but, tho a lot more expensive, have you seen the Carthago compactline 138? 6.4m long, 2.2 m wide, double floors etc....

http://www.southdownsmotorhomecentre.co.uk/new-motorhomes-for-sale/new-carthago-motorhomes-for-sale/new-2014-carthago-c-compactline-i-138-fiat-150-automatic-motorhome-n2994.html

I have a self-imposed £50k budget maximum (and it grieves me sorely to be considering spending that much on a boring motorhome!)

Derek uzzell - are you not happy with your hobby 600? I have seen one on ebay and it looked a lovely van for the money ,could you tell me please do they come under the 3.5 ton weight limit , and what is their length ? Cheers pp :)

Pampam - 2014-05-25 4:11 AM

Derek uzzell - are you not happy with your hobby 600? I have seen one on ebay and it looked a lovely van for the money ,could you tell me please do they come under the 3.5 ton weight limit , and what is their length ? Cheers pp :)

I don't really understand the concept of "happy" when it comes to motorhome ownership. I just treat the thing like a fridge or electric-drill and, as long as it meets my requirements and performs the tasks I expect it to, that's sufficient. As the Hobby is now 9 years old and I can afford to replace it with a new motorhome, why should I not choose to do this?

Length is 6.38m and (in my case) the vehicle's fully-loaded weight is around 3200kg. There's an example here

http://www.blackcountrycaravans.co.uk/stocklist/997/2005-hobby-t600-fc-motorhome

though mine is LHD and (realistically) has a value of £16k-£17k.

Archived