12 v fridge

seanfallon2

Hi all

As i'm new to campers and a bit green,

im just wondering how long i can leave my 12 v fridge running before it runs down the battery, as i;m heading to France in my VW T4 Camper , the ferry is 17 hours FROM iRELAND, can i leave my fridge running for such a long time ? Without running down the battery, the leisure battery is an elecsol 100AH ?

For your fridge to work on 12v you will need to have your engine running and you will not be allowed to run it on gas on board that is if your fridge will run on gas. So your first stop looks like being a French supermarket. You can keep the fridge cool by putting frozen bottles of water in and they will keep it cool for a while.

Dave

Is it a 3 way fridge (12 volt/gas/230volt) or a 12 volt compressor type? If its a 3 way forget running it on 12 volt without the engine running, if its a compressor type it should be ok as long as your battery is healthy and fully charged when you board the ferry. You could try running it a max cooling prior to boarding because it will take longer for the internal temperature to rise to critical levels if you can get it really cold to start with. Alternatively travel with minimum frozen/chilled foods and stock up once you're over the water.

D.

Archived