Old but active and healthy - me and also the van

John.N

Trying to insure the Autosleeper Legend but at 84 I'm deemed too old by C&CC, CC, Caravanguard, Safeguard, and Scenic. Can anybody in a similar situation give me any tips (other than lying about my age!). Saga will accept me but I would like to shop around.

John

My tip would be to use an insurance broker. So much easier than doing it all yourself, and it can be cheaper too.

Not quite the same, but I was booking a cruise last year, direct with the cruise line. Happened to see an advert in local paper, upshot was a local travel agent got me the same cruise several hundred pounds cheaper.

Hi, lying about your age will inevitably mean that any insurance would be invalid, so please dont do it.

Hard that it may be, but I wonder if the time eventually comes when we all have to give up..I am getting dangerously close myself. I am convinced that I am still able to drive safely, but I have to accept that there must come a time when an insurer might disaggree.

Is there an age at which we should be compulsorily retired from driving ????.

Tonyg3nwl .

I suppose the only way round this problem would be to bring in a 1 yearly health check at say 75 yrs age with a test of driving skills conducted by a suitable examiner. Its a tricky one though as many senior citizens find great independence by driving, if they live in a remote area with no public transport.

80 is the cut off point for new business in a lot of companies, they will continue insuring you if an existing customer but will not take you on if you are a new customer.

At least you have one company that will take your money.

chas - 2014-05-27 11:55 AM

I suppose the only way round this problem would be to bring in a 1 yearly health check at say 75 yrs age with a test of driving skills conducted by a suitable examiner. Its a tricky one though as many senior citizens find great independence by driving, if they live in a remote area with no public transport.

In fact at age 70, 75, & 80 I have voluntarily taken a driving test as I wanted an independent assessment of my ability and to counter my wife's criticism. However I realise that sadly the end of my driving days is nigh.

It looks as if I shall have to take the Judge's advice and go to Saga or stick with my existing insurer.

Archived