Mould on fly screens

Keith T

We have just had a leak in our van fixed and there was some heavy mould on the ceiling material, auto sleeper fitter said that they just rub in bio washing liquid leave it for a short while then use water to rinse (on a cloth) the netted part of the vent, pulls out in its frame perhaps the same treatment then swill it under the tap?

Pete

Flies dying on our fly screens and then getting rolled up with them seems to be unavoidable - but they usually dry out and the corpses can be scrapped off the outside of the blind fairly easily once they have dried.

If there are persistent bits of flies or stains I would try dabbing and gently rubbing using some warm water with washing up liquid in it on a cloth or sponge BUT have another person pressing something flat on the other side, to avoid the risk of deforming the netting when you press or rub.

Removing the corpses from the roof light netting is more challenging and you may have to find a way of disassembling or at least getting the net out of its track to get at the other side.

breakaleg - 2014-05-27 1:36 PM

We have just had a leak in our van fixed and there was some heavy mould on the ceiling material, auto sleeper fitter said that they just rub in bio washing liquid leave it for a short while then use water to rinse (on a cloth) the netted part of the vent, pulls out in its frame perhaps the same treatment then swill it under the tap?

Pete

I'd be very wary of rubbing anything on a surface that has become wet and developed mould if that surface is porous (eg. the type of furniture-board with a 'paper' top-surface that is commonly used in motorhomes and caravans) as it risks damaging the surface irreperably.

My Hobby motorhome has a separate shower-compartment with plastic walls and a plastic folding door. But Hobby chose to extend the ceiling of the adjoining washroom above the shower-compartment. As the shower-compartment (and the washroom) has no ceiling-height ventilation and we don't use campsite facilities for showering, mould soon began to form on the ceiling above the shower and, despite being carefully cleaned off, inevitably started to penetrate the ceiling's 'paper' surface. Having eventually rubbed through the paper surface, I cladded the shower-compartment's ceiling with plastic material, which took a good deal of time and effort, wasn't cheap, and could have been avoided if Hobby had done it when the motorhome was built.

Archived