Auto Petrol pumps in EU

THE SHEPHERD

Best not to let your tank get too low when abroad especially on a Sunday, as that gives you more scope to find somewhere that will accept one of your cards.

We have found that sometimes a Nationwide card will work when others don't but it is by no means certain as it seems to be random pot luck especially in France.

Carry several different cards both Visa and Mastercard, don't run low on fuel, always advise the card issuers which countries you will be in and carry cash just in case you find a station that is open but does not take cards - especially in Germany.

Debit cards are more widely accepted than credit cards. Germany is a case where most locals pay in cash, even for large purchases so you have to be careful with your fuel.

Martin's money tips recommends Halifax Clarity for the best exchange rate.

Don't use up your euros for fuel when you get back to England, the exchange rate you get is an insult.

This week in Belgium all the filling stations were closed on Sunday and I found one in Ypres that took a card, but the fuel price was higher than when it was open.

We are spoilt over herewith 24 hour supermarkets and filling stations, and I see folk paying for a cup of coffee with a credit card!

Guest pelmetman
THE SHEPHERD - 2014-05-27 1:11 PM

Can any one advise on the best card to  carry for those closed petrol stations that will accept card payment. We have found both visa and our bank credit card don't work.

Just a thought..........have you told the card companies that your going abroad?.............as some of them require prior authorisation ;-)...............

There was a time when French petrol stations which took cards out of hours would only take French ones, so out of hours you could only get fuel on the Autoroutes, same on Sundays.

But I haven't had a problem with that for several years and I have used our Nationwide Credit Card without difficulty for ages. That one is commission-free for foreign purchases in Europe providing you pay it off each month too.

I carry a Post Office Credit card too because that's a similar no-fees deal so you get th best exchange rates too - better than you can get converting cash into Euros. I also carry debit cards but only as a reserve and in case I need to use a cash machine, which I try to avoid.

Many thanks folks, all the pints are valid. we once had a card refused even though we had told the company concerned, luckily we had others, when contacted they said it was because it was being used in a foreign country,lol, not a lot of use when trying to top up on a toll road service station.

THE SHEPHERD - 2014-05-27 5:07 PM

Many thanks folks, all the pints are valid. we once had a card refused even though we had told the company concerned, luckily we had others, when contacted they said it was because it was being used in a foreign country,lol, not a lot of use when trying to top up on a toll road service station.

I would disagree with you here as I thought it was an excellent security precaution and its just a case of a bit preplanning

Archived