Webasto heating

Geee246

Don't know much about this type of heating other than it runs on diesel. Are there any pros and cons or has anyone any experience of this type of heating?

Have noticed it on the odd van while searching the web.

yeah we have webasto dueltop on our dethleffs globebus it is mounted underneath the vehicle on the outside so does not take up interior space, seems quite economical and apart from a sticking drain valve has been no problem, gives 11ltr hot water in around 20-25 mins, I think they use something like 100ml of fuel per hour on full heat, which in this country you will not need as it is way too hot even on half heat setting in winter!!!.....a rough calculation of our fuel use in winter (depending on temp) was about a ltr of diesel in 24hrs, so around £1.40 which i'm ok with................though I am sure others may disagree :-D

cheers

We have the Frankia "Polar Heating" which consists of the Alde gas/electric system plus a Webasto heater fitted by FIAT in the engine bay and with the controls in the dash. The warm air is blown in through the normal dash vents. This way the 'van can be heated quickly whilst waiting for the Alde radiators to warm up.

Both systems work well and the Webasto is very quick to heat up and start blowing - It also means that if the system is used at breakfast time the engine coolant / oil is warm on start up as a bonus.

I haven't measured what the system has used but we used it quite a bit on cool mornings in Portugal in February and March and didn't notice any appreciable reduction in the amount of fuel on board.

The only downside is that the Webasto does seem to be a bit noisier than the Alde from outside so neighbours can hear you enjoying the heat.

We had the Webasto DualTop unit in our previous van and were very pleased with it. More program options than an 8 year old could handle but easy to use. A 6KW blast to warm things up quickly was very welcome and you could use it whilst in transit. We never really noticed the small amount of diesel consumed as most of the time it was running on the 2KW elecktrickery stuff.

Archived