Ilfracombe sees visitor vow never to return

sambukashot

Guest Had Enough

OK, he didn't read the small print but the parking attendant was a total jobsworth. The place was empty!

A club I'm a member of has parking outside that's free after 6.00 pm.

Wardens regularly go round at five minutes to six to see if anyone has had the temerity to park there at ten to six and not paid an hour's fee for the ten minutes.

We all sit in our cars and if we see a warden coming nip out as though we've just arrived and go to feed the pay and display machine. Never once has a warden said: "Don't worry chaps, it's free in five minutes, there's no need to buy a ticket."

And they wonder why they're hated!

Guest pelmetman

I maybe wrong.................but if his wheels had been within the markings, I believe he would've been legal :-| .............

I bet the parking attendant couldn't believe his luck *-)...............

He should have paid for 2 Spaces. Then No fine. British Resort destinations only give 'lip service' to welcoming visitors, in reality we are a 'necessary nuisance' to be tolerated, and penalised when possible. No wonder so many go abroad. Cornwall is no better.

Guest pelmetman
Gram - 2014-05-30 9:44 PM

pelmetman - 2014-05-30 6:37 PM

.........but if his wheels had been within the markings, I believe he would've been legal

Is this correct?

G

Purely anecdotal on my part.......but...

I have always parked both my camper and LWB delivery van so the van wheels are within the parking bay markings, although my extremities have often overhung into the bay behind :$................I have yet to receive a ticket ;-)............and that's based on 23.5 years with the camper..........and 15 years with the works van :D

Gram - 2014-05-30 9:44 PM

pelmetman - 2014-05-30 6:37 PM

.........but if his wheels had been within the markings, I believe he would've been legal

Is this correct?

G

I was at Slapton Sands car park a couple of months back and inquired of a traffic warden as to how many tickets I was required to buy and his reply was if I could get the wheels within one bay then one ticket. I managed it with just an inch or so to spare and he was happy with that and went off to nick a couple of cars that had no tickets and another couple of cars that weren't parked in marked bays.

I just noticed that the sign referred to 'vehicles over 3500kg unladen weight' which is not how larger motorhomes are designated as this would be for 3500 MTPLM.

so, many MH with an MTPLM of 3850 or even 4250kg might be under 3500kg unladen weight so could park in the marked bay, provided they would fit their wheels in one bay.

I still think the actions of the council are pathetic and shouldn't instructions i.e all wheels within marked bay be made clearer? We visited a town with our motorhome.Couldn't understand how we should park.Rang the number given at the car park.They didn't either! Visited the tourist office.They directed us to another larger car park a little further out which was brilliant but even the tourist office didn't know if strictly speaking it was allowed.They just said it was large, very quiet and we probably wouldn't be bothered!

Poppy - 2014-05-31 10:18 AM

I still think the actions of the council are pathetic and shouldn't instructions i.e all wheels within marked bay be made clearer?

That rule applies to parking on the highway so it would be reasonable to assume it applies everywhere. But does it apply to the outside of the white line or the inside?

http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/index/information-and-services/travel-transport-and-roads/parking-and-parking-enforcement/penalty-charge-notice-pcn-contravention-codes-with-descriptions/further-details-of-contravention-code-24.htm

So, lets get this straight, if I park my vans wheels inside the given markings, regardless of side or length of bodywork overhanging into adjacent bays, they cannot give me a ticket.

I have always assumed I should include the overhang as part of the vehicle, but always try to find a bay I can reverse into with the rear overhanging say a grass verge. So whats the situation if I have a bike rack on the back which is also infringing into another bay ?

Some how I feel you would still get a ticket.

It is completely beyond me why anyone bothers to motorhome in England with it's oh so petty, and expensive, parking restrictions. Give me France and Germany any and every time. Stuff Ilfracombe council and all the rest of them around the country.

Guest pelmetman
Muswell - 2014-05-31 10:40 AM

I still think the actions of the council are pathetic and shouldn't instructions i.e all wheels within marked bay be made clearer?

That rule applies to parking on the highway so it would be reasonable to assume it applies everywhere. But does it apply to the outside of the white line or the inside?

http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/index/information-and-services/travel-transport-and-roads/parking-and-parking-enforcement/penalty-charge-notice-pcn-contravention-codes-with-descriptions/further-details-of-contravention-code-24.htm

This is the interesting bit ;-).............

"For a PCN to be issued, at least one full wheel of the vehicle must be outside the markings of the parking space or bay."

No mention of bike racks or rear overhangs :D...........

I recently queried my local council who have built a massive P&R which will never be fully used, as existing a few miles away in 10+ years has managed 75% occupancy on average and the council unable to state how often it has been 100%, why no bays were being made available for Motorhomes. After much correspondence I received a reply that suggested if I parked in a specific area and

" I can however advise that if all wheels of your motor home can fit into the marked bay, and your vehicle is parked in the blue area as indicated on the attached plan, this will be acceptable."

As far as I am concerned if I can meet these requirements anywhere in the park I will park there as the spot selected was the most distant from the services.

I also asked for the legality of the sign indicating the conditions of use of the P&R as it is located on a bend at the main entrance and would put me in danger from the frequent buses that use the P&R to stop and read same. As usual no reply, however I am considering asking a question under the Freedom of Information Act on the number of PCN that have been issued and ask if they can be justified as the sign does not meet the requirements of being easily accessible.

We parked in Bridgnorth the once, I wasn't comfortable with how I had parked as we stuck out a bit, I waited around a while until a ticket inspector turned up, I asked her about my parking (there was a brick wall at the back of the van) she said as long as your wheels are within the bay, that's fine (they were) she also said, that if you are a blue badge holder (Iam ) they allow you to be up to three quarters of an hour late returning due to your disability (I didn't test that one out) lol

There's another thing with blue badges, you used to be able to park for free in Minehead all day and as you probably know, motor homes have to park on the harbour road, now this has been reduced to three hours then pay any extra after that, now I have no beef about paying but, it's a long walk from there to the town which for me, requires frequent rests along the way, some days more than others. but what it doesn't say is, do you pay for the extra hours before you go and set your badge from the expiry time, or do you set the time clock and go back, now I need around five hours to walk up the high street one side and then down the other, I phoned the council and asked, but even the staff didn't know the answer. they took my registration number and told me to carry on.

Pete

Guest Peter James
Muswell - 2014-05-31 10:40 AM

The link is for Northern Ireland

I don't know if its the same in England.

To get the van level, or to leave more room on the road for Emergency Vehicles to get past without slowing down, I have for many years put a wheel or two on the pavement with no problems. I have seen wardens walk past and ignore it.

Then I parked in Haringey behind Alexandra Palace overnight. About 9.30am I was having my breakfast and noticed a traffic warden about to make out a parking ticket. 8-) He was obviously surprised when I got out the van. I said I parked that way top leave more room for emergency vehicles (its a wide pavement and narrow road) He just muttered 'park properly' and walked off.

You were lucky. Contravention code 62, which is what you broke, can result in immediate removal in Haringey. The tow truck drives down our quiet street at least twice a day and if anyone parks with a slight obstruction to a driveway they turn up minutes after being phoned. It's good money and it helps keep my rates down. They drive around in CCTV cars looking for parking offenders too....

I've just arrived back in the last few hours from France and even thinking of paying for parking in most towns and villages is laughed at over there.

We parked at Stella Plage 10 metres from the beach, Les Dunes du Mont St-Frieux and the car park next to Nausicaa in Boulogne sur Mer a similar distance from the beaches, a car park off the main road in Etaples for the Friterie and in Le Touquet for walking the dog - all for free and certainly no hassle from anyone in authority.

If you want to actually enjoy travelling by MH then get over to the Continent and let them benefit from your hard earned cash – not the Councils who grind you down with rules and regulations in the UK.

:-D :-D :-D

I raised the issue of parking within the marked bays in council car parks with my local authority.

This is their reply:

"Thank you for your email.

The whole of the vehicle needs to be within a marked bay, so that it is not obstructing other drivers from using the bays that are next to the bay you are parking your vehicle in. If you have a larger vehicle that cannot be parked fully within a marked bay in a pay and display Car Park then you can purchase 2 pay and display tickets to allow you to park in 2 bays.

Kind regards ......"

G

We were fined for parking in two spots and having just one ticket back a few years ago in Street in Somerset, funny none of the 4 local 4x4s that were taking up two spaces were booked nor the 2 police cars on the yellow lines.

If we had known that 2 tickets were required then we would certainly have put 2 on but no request to buy another just got booked 2 minutes after we parked there so obviously watching

RD

No doubt, in Clarks Village?

when i go Cribbs Causeway, no way would i pay to spend money in John Lewis or M&S so why does this 'shopping mall' feel,they must charge you, and even fine you of you dont park perfectly?

PS i live in Street so i know the car park i think you mean.

Archived